Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon prop shaft

RiF

Seems like plenty of hot air but no real data *wink* (all good fun though 😬)

I certainly would rather have a carbon prop fail than a steel one but I would not want either to fail *wink*

The torsional strength is part of the construction, so certainly not a problem if designed properly. This company do balance them and can do the testing but.....I need info.

Has anyone tried the Mog version?

I was told the prices this company can make them for is close to buying a steel version *confused* Any idea how much CC charge for theirs??

Simon: did it all go well in the end. E-mail me if you want any advise. Pleased to help if needed (except for the riveting!!!) 😬 😬

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Edited by - richard in france on 6 Apr 2005 22:36:45

I admit I'm a little scared about using a CF prop to be honest. Although I agree with Mike Bees that the failure of such would constitute a lower potential hazzard than a flailing steel tube, what worries me is whether it is more likely to fail than a steel equivalent because if it is, you still have metal ends which would flail about.

Now if *that* could be mitigated, then I would be interested but definitely not yet.

I would be interested in a CF or light alloy de Dion. There's little nastiness from rotating parts there and I see the de Dion as a sensationally poor design that's begging for someone to come upwith a better solution.

Hello to all.

MOG Racing is not the supplier from the carbon propshafts!!!

We are the main improter of CTG for Caterham propshafts in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

Very nice company, very nice people.

From the CTG Website: http://www.ctgltd.co.uk/

CTG TORQline™ advanced composite propshafts are used by professionals worldwide. Our propshafts are specifically designed for each individual application, providing the perfect driveline solution optimized for high performance and low weight.

Massive weight savings

CTG composite propshafts are on average up to 75% lighter than similarly sized steel shafts, giving a dramatic reduction in rotational mass. Large weight savings are also possible over aluminium and titanium propshafts. The high specific stiffness of our propshafts means larger distances can be spanned, which can lead to the elimination of centre bearings, saving more weight and improving serviceability.

Extreme strength

CTG composite propshafts are exceptionally strong and reliable, with typical torque ratings in excess of 3500Nm. Tailored solutions are available for higher and lower torque applications.

Bespoke design

All CTG composite propshafts feature a filament-wound composite tube specifically designed to suit the power, torque and space constraints of each vehicle, and can be fitted with a wide choice of CTG high performance end fittings. Every CTG propshaft is designed to give the strongest, most reliable, and best performing solution.

High axial stiffness values, tailored torsional compliance and whirl elimination

CTG composite experts design every aspect of each propshaft to the required stiffness of the application, eliminating whirl problems and allowing single piece propshafts to be used in place of two piece shafts, allowing further reduction of kerb and rotational weight.

High durability and safety

CTG composite propshafts have superb fatigue life, and can be offered with surface protection for impact resistance in harsh environments. Each design is put through a rigorous test procedure in our in-house mechanical test lab, including high load fatigue and ultimate load testing. Composite materials have excellent energy absorption properties leading to enhanced safety.

Excellent value for money

Each propshaft is backed by CTG design, development and aftersales support, ensuring each design provides the perfect mix of high strength, high performance, low weight and good value.

Versatile range of applications

As well as motorsport applications, TORQline™ shafts can be used in any situation where low rotational weight, anti-whirling properties, low friction and low maintenance are desirable attributes.

Regards

Joachim

mog-racing.com

Joachim, just out of interest whats the rough cost of a carbon propshaft for a caterham ?

Are the prices for a complete propshaft or would we have to provide all the flanges, UJs and end fittings.

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

Thinforth, my thoughts entirely, a work of art like that needs to go on the outside of the car somewhere *smile*

I've driven my car briefly without the tunnel cover, truly scary with the propshaft inches from your elbow *eek*

Joachim, sounds a fair price considering what is being charged for some carbon products which only have 'bling' value (BTW what is the German word for Bling), unfortunately a carbon propshaft is fairly low on my priorities list.

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

I certainly would rather have a carbon prop fail than a steel one but I would not want either to fail

Somewhat OT but, many years ago while touring the pits at an NHRA event I noticed a bellhousing from a fueler that was all f****d up. It had a big bulge in one side, like someone had been whacking at it w/ a massive drift tool. I asked one of the wrenches (one of the beautiful things about the drags is the accessibility to the guys that actually do it. Just like F1 😳) what had happened. He explained that what I was seeing was the impact zone of one of the bits of metal that was part of a Big Failure - 5000+ HP has its ways after all. The bellhousing was made of Ti, specifically for that reason. Sort of a very expensive catcher's mitt, if you will.

So, Richard, any chance of you getting into the Ti Tunnel Housing business?

Wamba

So has anyone actually got a carbon propshaft on their car???

Have you sold many Joachim in Germany, have there been any problems on a seven??? How long have you been selling them?

Arnie: do you have one on K2RUM?

I felt the weight at an exhibition on Tuesday and was totally amazed how light they are.

I was not looking at making them but possibly a bulk buy????

Really don't know what would be involved with a de dion tube but they are certainly heavy enough at the moment.

Need technical info on both to get any prices.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Edited by - richard in france on 7 Apr 2005 18:17:46