Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crutch strap fixings

Tim Sture

I've got a live axle Academy car and need to fix the crutch strap. There are two bushes in the rear chassis rail behind the driver's seat and I've been provided by Caterham with two bolts, each with a nyloc, three big washers, a long spacer and a spring washer.

I'm not sure what to do - the bolts are too thin to thread into the bushes (not sure if there is a thread), but there is no hole in the bottom of the bushes for the bolts to go right through (thereby enabling the nyloc to go on the bottom of the bolt).

Do I have to drill a hole in the bottom of the bushes for the bolts to go through? If not, am I right to presume I have the wrong size bolts?

Assuming I have to drill a hole, would the right order for the bits (top down from the bolt head)be spring washer, washer, spacer, washer, bush, washer, nyloc?

Tim, did you get the full answer from Caterham ? When I was at CCC they told me to use 5/16 bolts and to drill through the floor. Why do Caterham provide threaded bushes if you have no chance of using them ?

I have filed a little bit of the mounting buckle of the straps to make the fit easier on CCCs advice.

What are the spacers like ? I don't recall those. From memory I have some aluminium bits lying around about half an inch long or so, are those they ?

Is that order right ? (Not questioning, just after confirmation).

Davebo

C7 CAR

Caterham confirmed that I needed to drill holes through the floor for the bushes.

I have pushed the bolt up through the bush from under the car (as advised by Caterham) with a wide washer to spead the load on the floor. Then the spacer (thin ally tube, about .75inch long) slides onto the bolt, sitting on the rear chassis rail. Then a wide washer, then the crutch strap with a spring washer inside the restraint anchor/buckle thingy, topped off by another wide washer and then the nyloc.

The order I gave in the first post is wrong for the spring washer - as mentioned above it fits inside the crutch strap anchor point (hope that makes sense).

Caterham told me that spacers are used to lift the buckle up to an appropriate height - I was told that the bushes are really there to fasten seats to, not crutch straps. Sounds like a bit of a bodge job really...

Caterham suggested putting the bolt up vertically !? I would have thought for safety you would want the bolt going down, so if the nut drops off at least gravity is keeping the bolt in. Is the spring washer slightly thicker than the strap buckle ? If so, I suppose it gives a bit of rotational freedom for the buckle like the brass inserts do for the shoulder straps.

Yes, I suppose it should be called a crotch strap, but that sounds so icky.

Davebo

C7 CAR