Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow dry sump oil pressure relief valve sticking - embarrased update

Joe 90

I'm fairly sure the oil pressure relief valve has taken to occasionally sticking open, with the rather alarming symptom of no oil pressure at idle 🙆🏻. I took the pump apart, looking for foreign matter or anything else untoward. The only two things I found was firstly a mark on the relief valve plunger, just outside the seting area. It looks as if it was made by a fairly coarse file. The second mark is a polished crescent, presumably caused by the plunger rubbing against a turn of the spring. I've put photos on webshots quickies, but it's not easy to show very much because my camera doesn't have a closeup facility.

Are the marks related to my problems, or are they a red herring?

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,300 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

Edited by - oliver sedlacek on 5 Apr 2005 18:57:11

Edited by - Oliver Sedlacek on 2 May 2005 18:48:58

Oliver,

Not sure if this is of any help but I recently contacted Titan Motorsport to obtain information about my crossflow dry sump pump. Is this the same make as yours?

I wanted to obtain a new seal and to see if they had any literature that showed the pump and its internal componenets. They said they had nothing available but put me in touch with John Wilcox Competition Engines at Leicester who they said were experts on both crossflow engines and Titan dry sump pumps.

I spoke with John Wilcox and Rita 🤔 who were extremely helpful and happy to provide much needed advice over the phone and parts by post. They led me to believe that they are working with these items all the time.

The number for John Wilcox is 01455 230576 and they do have a website if this is of assistance.

I have temporarily overcome my problem but do need to remove the pump to fit the new oil seal they have supplied, at some time soon. However, it's so difficult to access the pump that it seems necessary to remove the engine to do this. Can you advise me if this is the case or whether it can be done with the engine in situ.

If I can assist further then please call me on 07743 214342

Geof(f),

it the Titan pump is anything like the other 5 port dry sump pumps fitted to x-flows (I think that mine's a Pace) then YES they can be taken out without removing the engine.

Method I use is

1/. Support engine using combination of sump pan on a jack from below and rope slung from engine crane above.

2/. Remove the o/s engine mount.

3/. Remove the pump.

This asumes that you have drained the oil from the system first.

Note also - steering column may need seperating at lower knuckle joint to allow full removal of the pump.

I do this WITHOUT removing the inlet manifold and carbs - though there is a technique to this (which involves dislocating various joints *eek* )

Dave.

Geof(f),

Thanks for all the info, I had almost given up on blatchat, and that wouldn't do at all 😬

You can take the pump off without removing the engine. It took me about an hour and a half, going in from the top. I removed the carbs, steering column and RHS engine mount. You don't have to remove so much if you go in from underneath, but I'm getting too old to go 'round crawling under cars unless I have to. You need a sawn down allen key for one of the bolts, as there isn't enough room for a full length one.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,300 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

• 3 weeks later...