Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ford Live Axle Diff

dogvet

3.54 was the lowest number diff (think that's what you call taller) that was available from Ford's for that axle, it came from the RS2000. Common ratios were 3.7, with 3.9 on smaller engine cars and 4.1 and 4.4 on some estates and vans.

You can get after market ratios of up to 5.1 and maybe lower than that for historic rallying. Not much demand for higher ratios from the rally boys who drive the aftermarket.

You can get an lsd fitted to this axle casing.

Dogvet,

Like you I was after a taller ratio for a Ford Salisbury (or 'English' as it was known) axle for a bike engined project. 3.54:1 was indeed the tallest ratio produced. I looked at getting a bespoke one made up by a small scale manufacturer, but the minimum was around 20 for a 'substantial' sum. Tried to drum up some interest from the BEC fraternity who all wanted one but weren't prepared to put any money up front to help me with the production cost. Ho hum . . .

There are many LSD's available for the bEnglish diff; just check the back of Motorsort News . . .

• Area Representative

Yes - 3.54 is the highest ratio diff and was also available on some early capris.

Yes - you can fit an LSD into the same casing. You simply replace the innards with LSD bits, retaining the case, crown wheel and pinion.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional