Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Noise from a 6 Speed box

Harry Flatters

I have an early 6 spd (casing no 11). Last year I had the 5th gear, selector forks and syncro rings replaced by Phil at R&R and overall it seems to perform really sweetly.

BUT, there is an odd noise that ONLY occurs in 1st at around 2000-2500rpm which sounds a bit like a screech from a dry bearing (yes, I have checked the oil!). The noise is fairly predictable and only lasts about a second or two.

Anyone got any clues?

Steve Mell

PTM 88

I think it has to do with the loading of the bearing, but I don't know for sure. I have had several cars (not just se7ens) do this, and it only ever seems to be first gear that makes it scream. I ignore it, but it is extremely irritatingsad.gif

Blatman, I know what you mean but this noise was also an occasional visitor even before I replaced the thrust bearing and although I know it's difficult to pinpoint the exact location of these things, it does sound like it's coming from further back.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Thanks Rob. Was yours also a VX lump. Is this a common problem. The only odd thing I noticed about about my clutch was the washers that were placed between the flywheel and clutch cover thereby bringing the forks closer to the release bearing. Mine is the LN version with the pie-dish flywheel. Someone said that the washers were necessary for proper clutch release.

Does any of this make sense and would it likely to have anything to do with my noise?

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Sorry my experience has been with the K series. Yes this is a common problem . Don`t like the sound of washers between clutch cover and flywheel, surely this would reduce the clamping force on the driven plate and also bring the cover closer to the release fork and bellhousing " not good ". I should ask Arnie or Chelspeed.

Good luck

Rob.

Edited by - Rob walker on 17 Oct 2001 11:11:14