Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear wings

Red SLR

I had my car re-skined in the winter and starting to put it back together now.

It seems the new skins have no holes for the rear wings or light wiring. Has anyone had to make these holes in the past, if so is there a template to do it?

Cheers

Simon.

LeMans 2004 pics here

FREE SEVEN CHAThere

Simon,

For the large holes (position isn't critical) I used a Dremel with router attachment and a suitable bit for cutting ali.

Mask it up, draw the circle then apply Dremel. for a nice smooth finish, finish off with a sanding drum on the Dremel too.

Steve.

B+Q local to me seem to have a good supply of Dremel bits. Some will say buy a cheap look-a-like but others wil disagree and say the cheap ones have little power and don't last long.

Myself I've got the original article, though it is my second one as I burnt out the original after several years and applying too much load.

Steve.

To get lights in same place try bolting the wings together instead of to the car that may make it easier to position them before mounting.

And for the big hole you can chain drill it to get a hole big enough to get the wire through and then a quick clean up with a file

Sod the heater wheres my shades

Edited by - thinfourth on 5 Apr 2005 14:13:18

Luckily TSK made the holes in the new rear wings for me, with their template *smile*

I was going to make the big hole for the rear light wires with my 'stepped' drillbit, and then open that up with a dremel as necessary.

I don't have my old wings as a reference - roughly how far from the bottom trailing edge of the rear wing does the bottom of the rear light cluster lie?

Got the guitar, got the keyboard - now got the engine 😬

• Support Team

Simon,

I am in exactly the same position - as soon as my new wings arrive I will have to mount them on a fresh, undrilled sideskin.

I have some measurements:

the front face of the rear wing should be 100mm ahead of the centre of the A frame mounting bolt on the chassis.

The bottom rear edge of the wing should then be flush with the bottom of the sideskin.

I have bought one of those spring clamps from B&Q (about £1.20) to clamp the wing to the car whilst I line it up and drill.

I have the added problem in that my new wings will have no holes in them so I was going to use the old ones as a template.

The hole for the rear light connectors should be just inside the rear edge of the wing about level with the second bolt hole up from the bottom. I don't think it really matters though. I just chain drilled the hole and finished with a coarse file and then a grinding bit on a drill to smooth the edges.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32