Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

White deposits on a galvanised trailer

oldbutnotslow

I keep getting white deposits on some of the galvanised sections of my trailer, which besides being unsightly do get on your clothes as you brush past.

I have power washed the trailer on a couple of occasions after it got covered in salt from the roads and have even taken to wiping it over with a an oily cloth. This works for a time but its a real fag to do.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop this from happening?

Grant

Black and stone chip and currently not going ☹️

Engine out and with Oily to be made better

- 3 days to go *smile*

here

Paint over the galvanizing.

The white deposits your getting are the first stages in Zinc corrosion. It won't go any further but it will keep coming back unless you can protect the Zinc.

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

A well known phenomenon to us what works with the stuff all the time. It is simply zinc oxide powder caused by exposure to water and, believe it or not, it aids the protection process of the steel underneath.

It will lessen with time although by then, the steel underneath will begin to rust. 😬

An oily film on the surface will lessen the effect.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. In the final weeks of gestation. SVA booked. 😬

I was always lead to believe that painting galvanised steel was counterproductive because the etching process removes some of the galvanising which you've paid handsomely for *confused*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

this is the stuff I'm waffling about.....

http://www.wrmeadows.com/wrm00040.htm

*thumbup* *thumbdown* 🤔

It says it should not be applied to existing coatings but we use it for touching-up galv'd things when they have been welded/cut/damaged.

Some of our railings have been cut/modified/damaged many times and the Galvafroided stuff is is as good nick as the original dipped stuff.

its only a game.........

http://daftlardycars.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Edited by - owelly on 4 Apr 2005 22:55:34

Galvafroid is, basically, a zinc rich paint which as owelly says is used for painting raw cut ends or where welding has destroyed the galvanised coating.

Over large areas, however, it will still peel off in time, as we have discovered by errrr.......experimentation. 😬

Nifty, yes the etching process does eat into the coating but the theory is that any subsequent coat(s) of paint will more than replace the very small amount of protection that is lost.

In indoor swimming pool buildings, for example, the galvanised coating will very quickly be destoyed unless protected by etching primer followed by a top coat of chlorinated rubber paint. Treated thus and done properly, it will last for years.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. In the final weeks of gestation. SVA booked. 😬