Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Next Zetec question......Ecu's

philwaters

Ok, cooling is now sorted out and I am a happy bunny again.

The next question I have is regarding the 3D mapping/Ecu. I am looking at buying the kit from Raceline and this will come with, I believe, a Gems system. I visited them last night and I'm sure he said it was the same as an Emerald - but I'm sure they are two different systems.

Anyone have any experience/shed any light on the Gems system - is it reliable, are there places that can re-program if I need it, etc?

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

Yes,

Purchased a GEMS ECU from Raceline for a Zetec 6 months ago after problems with my old (not GEMS) ECU and looms. Not the same as Emerald, and yes you can get the software and can play with the map (remember to buy a connecting lead, slightly inconvenient to remove ECU cover to plug in the pc, but thats all). Raceline map started the engine first turn and after some slight tweaking all working well since. Fine tuning on the 1 - 2,000 rpm end is probably all you will need to do, before plugging in the lambda. Track performance brilliant - SPA now in the 2.45 lap time area.

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . .

The GEMS system isn't the same as the Emerald ECU, it *is* the same as the Lumenition ECU however. I know of quite a few happy GEMS users and a few not so happy GEMS users, any competent rolling road should be able to map your engine using the GEMS system provided they have the required software (which usually costs extra). Dave Walker at Emerald has mapped a few engines using the GEMS system, Mike Bees used to use it but now has an Emerald ECU, Tor Atlel also uses GEMS. It seems to be fairly reliable and has been around a long time.

Oily

Thanks guys, sounds like I can trust it then. I was thinking of using Weber Alpha, but this will be cheaper and you can get the software to change it, which is nice. I also know of Weber supplying an ECU without any map installed - certainly got us thinking, thankfully an old 2d ecu ran fine until problem was found. I don't fancy that without a spare to fall back on.

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif