Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ACB 10s & rim widths

Mike Bees

www.avonracing.com gives a rim choice of 5.5-6.5" for a 6/21/13 tyre and 6-7.5" for a 7/12/13 tyre. If you were going to run 6" fronts which tyre would you run for maximum grip - a 6" or a 7"?

Similar question for rears, they quote 5.5-7.5" for 7/22/13 and 7-8.5" for 8/22/13, so which would work best on a 7" rim?

Mike

Hi Mike

I think you need to consider gearing and ride height if going for wide tyres on the lowest spec rim, don't caterham use something like 8 or 8.5 inch rims on the wide rears ? Nigel Marston will be able to tell you, he's being running ACB10s for ages.

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

Caterham wheels used to be 8.5", are now 8". I'm just wondering which tyres will give the most grip on a set of 6/7" rims (which I already have - can't justify the cost of a set of 7" & 8" which is what I would choose if money were no consideration).

Mike

Ive run 6/21 and 7/22 on 6" rims, the 6/21 wouldnt want anything wider than a 6" rim IMHO, they certainly don't look like they are falling off the side of the rim.

The 7/22 could probably do with a 7" rim but worked fine on my 6's, didnt roll off the edge of the rim or anything, even with hard track use.

I would say your wheels are ideal for a 6/21 and 7/22 combo

Edited by - ChrisG on 4 Apr 2005 13:49:12

All the hillclimb Caterham's i've seen use the 7's on std 6.5 inch rims. I personally use 7.5 inch rims with the same tyre but I think clearance on the wing stay becomes an issue if you increase the rim width over and above the std 6.5's. I didn't suffer this problem because I used fabricated wings and stays on the front of my car. That said if you're stuck with 6 inch fronts I'd suggest you use the 6 inch Avons.

For the 7 inch wide rear wheels I'd definately go for the 7 inch Avons and not the 8's.

Home of HTR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 5 Apr 2005 00:12:02