Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Red Top 15 vs Red Top 20

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I imagined that a RT 20 would be a "more powerful" battery than the 15 and that to be safe a 20 would be the one to go for. However looking at the information on the Varley site this is not the case. All the other batteries follow some logic in the naming convention and the bigger the number (25, 30, etc.) the higher the cranking current and the higher the capacity. I then tried to compare the numbers with the existing Banner battery but apart from the capacity (different scales?) there are no common values to compare.

So should I go for the RT15 or the RT20 assuming I want to err on the side of caution. I'll be looking at the Odyssey batteries as well. I'm looking for "performance" equal to or better then the Banner as the car is often used for short/multiple journeys. A weight saving is just an added bonus.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Can't say about being onthe side of caution but I fitted a RT15 and it's never failed to

start the VX XE 2.0.

Even after couple of won't start (ECU plug came out / fuse blown) incidences. I thought at the time - I am pushing it here, but it was fine. It also sees winter usage, cold garage to meeing. Stands out for 4 hours and gets cold and then starts up.

I do trickle charge it from time to time.

I fitted an Anderson plug with short power leads from the plug in the side skin to the battery.

I had a hole to panel anyhow after the through the bonnet exhaust so that was easy.

Then I adpated a pair of jump leads for the Anderson plug which I carry on the road in case of problems. It would be connect up to another car plug in and Vroom. Not used it in two years though.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Where did you get the Anderson Connectors from? I put that into a search on the RS web site and got 9001 answers, none of the "best fit" ones were the right one.

Maplin just asked me if I meant "Androids Connector". I never followed it up to see if they had one.

• Support Team

How did you fit the RT15? On it's side or standing up? It's longer then the original fit Banner although narrower and shorter in height.

Any idea why the RT15 is so much more expensive than the RT20? They appear to have similar performance and size.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I mounted the RT15 on it's side on the lower chassis rail with a homemade ali bracket.

Having gone through the bonnet exhaust there was a massive space down there and no hot pipes to fry anything.

I thought the RT15 was much lighter hence the price.

My racing info site

here

• Support Team

RT15 is actually 0.1kg heavier thatn the RT20.

Specs below:

Model, Capacity, Connection, weight, lenght, depth, height, cranking current, DT price

Red Top 15, 14, M6 male, 5.0, 200, 77, 140, 400A, £96.55+VAT

Red Top 20, 13, M6 female, 4.9, 176, 84, 130, 360A, £68.75+VAT

Red Top 25, 16, M6 female, 6.1, 182, 77, 168, 625A, £81.60+VAT

Almost tempted to get the RT25 now

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 4 Apr 2005 11:55:58

Aha it was the RT25 I was thinking of as 'heavy'. Cranking is very good though.

RT20 was of lower cranking A so I dismissed it at the time.

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 4 Apr 2005 13:19:59

Edited by - stevefoster on 4 Apr 2005 13:20:35