Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem starting after 6 months

Shaun_E

• Support Team

After my 6 month rebuild, finally got to the point of trying to start the car. Despite keeping the battery on charge it seems to be knackered so will replace that. However even using jump leads I couldn't start the car.

The fuel pump works, the car turns over but there is no spark from the coil lead. There are 2 LT wires to the coil. One is permanent 12V - tested with meter - and the other I presume is the feed to the rev counter (I have a second lead on that connection which feeds the Stack dash). Removing the coil lead from the distributor and holding near an earth, there is no spark.

Does this mean the coil is knackered or am I missing something? Should the feed to the coil be permanent?

What else can I try? If the coild is broken, where do I get a replacement? Is it a standard Rover part?

Cheers,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Coil available at local Rover dealer but it's £60. Before I shell out the cash, is there anything else I should check?

Are there any fuses I should check? I've already changed the ECU one for a 30A (was 20A).

Are there some other tests I can do? Any earth's I should check? The starter is working fine.

Why would a coil fail?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Steve - thanks for the offer.

elise_s1 - wish I'd seen that 2 hours ago as I just bought one from local Rover dealer - £60 ☹️

Now just got to get the old one off as 10 minutes this lunchtime wasn't enough. Whoever fitted it torqued it up to some ridiculous tighness *thumbdown*

I will be bookmarking that site as the prices do look good. Not to worry this time as I am short of time and having the part today was more imnportant than the price.

Yellow SL *cool* #32