Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ARGH! Handbrake issues

Myles

It's officially a Sierra part (XR4i?) - but might be the same as the Scorpio - I dunno.

You can get refurb/remanufactured items from factors, but they are (depending on your viewpoint) surprisingly expensive. Hearsay seems to suggest something between £80 and £120 each... Westfield use them and charge a lot more (although these may be new units, I just dunno).

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a bit of research around the Brake calipers/handbrake and cost implication of various options:

In my situation the Handbrake cable is less likely to be the source of the problem, movement of the cable appears to be pretty free in its sheath.

Now I get to the Calipers and Two and a half options.

1. replace calipers, Expensive:

- New £180 each from CC

- Reconditioned £78 each

2. Re-condition existing calipers. This is about £15 per caliper DIY

So guess which option I favour!?

Identifying the Caliper was rather easier said than done, it may be an XR4i but which year?

Having provided serial numbers and photographs www.speedway.co.uk eventually managed to identify which seal kit is needed. *thumbup*

The kits get delivered tomorrow so this will give me a nice long weekend to strip thing down and re-assemble. I also decided to get a seal kit for the front caliper too. How exciting.

If doesn't fix the handbrake problem I'm sure this will bring new life to 10 year old brakes and I'll know it really is the cable afterall.

All told Seal kits for all four calipers has come to £58, so not bad if they do the job. I'll give an update once they're fitted, I might even do a web page guide.

BCK 4801 Seal kit for the Triumph Herald Front Brakes

BCK 4303 Seal Kit for the Ford XR4x4 Rears

(Note: Don't assume that your brakes are the same as mine, take a pic and look for the part numbers on the calipers and send these to Dave at Speedway (Tel: 01709 880393)

Tig

Edited by - Tigger on 28 Apr 2005 15:37:44

Tigger - do remember to post your caliper part no.s and that of the seal kits... *thumbup*

On reflection, this is unlikely to solve my problem, but please post it anyway. My rear brakes work fine - it's just the handbrake mechanism that's toast. I doubt that's just seals...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 28 Apr 2005 15:29:15

well,

The Handbrake now holds the car... *thumbup* But I think that the replacement seals had little to do with it. and it was more about adjusting the handbrake.

The original seals really were not in that bad a condition and doubt that replacing them made much difference to the chocolate pot handbrake and having dismantled the calipers and rear handbrake cable assembly to replace the seals I found that the cable moved pretty freely in its sheath so that wasn't the culprit either.

It all comes down to the little off-white thumb screw adjuster, a few turns on that and the handbrake will hold the car on the 3rd click of the ratchet (I don't think it would hold a Sierra though!) The only other component not dismantled was the Handbrake handle.

tig

I had something on a Westie I was trying to autotest - would not lock the rear wheels with the handbrake - which made handbrake turns a little difficult.

The white plastic adjusters were slipping - either on the cable, or on each other - I forget which. So even if you adjusted it, as soon as you pulled the handle, it just pulled the outer thro the adjuster.

New cable sorted it.

Bri

• 2 weeks later...

An up-date on the brake seal replacement.

Since replacing the seals I've now had a chance to take the car for a good drive (last weekend I didn't even have time to drive around the corner!). I can now report that the replacement seals have changed a rather wooden pedal into one with considerably more feel and, what might seem surprising, it has made the car a little quieter. Prior to the seal change I could hear the brake piston drag on the rear discs but now virtually no drag at all.

I can throughly recommend this simple bit of maintenance.

Tig

It's one thing to look stupid, it's another thing to open your mouth and actually confirm it.....