Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhausting!

Red SLR

hm. Any way can any one recommend a good place to get a Caterham copm exhaust from?

I think the Caterham item is about 600ukp so I am sure you can get a decent hand made one for about the same money!!!

I would like to keep the noise below 98dBm

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Hi Simon,

It's worth calling the usual suspects like any k series performance parts stockist, plus place an ad on Wanted.

Send roger king a message and see what he says.

I'm not sure what std exhausts run at but both BTB (hand made racing jobbies) and SBD quoted over a grand for replacement Vx systems. Ok yes they're 4:2:1, and have development costs to recover..but I have a hunch that a decent system will cost atleast that.

No doubt someone will now prove me wrong!!

Edited by - captain chaos on 15 Oct 2001 21:04:55

When do you want it Simon?

Myself and Dave Hooper (frequents the se7ens list) are possibly going to get a bespoke jobbie made just after Christmas. Cost will be iro 600 notes in stainless.

Alternatively, if I end up buying one of these, I'll have a 12mth old Caterham SLR race system (no cat, stainless, top order) that I'll take offers on. My engine gives 200bhp ish with this on, and isn't that noisy.

Simon

Not related to your car, but for interest see racecar.co.uk

click....... news

click........web news 11.6.2001

Noting exhaust and inparticular Oil catch tank you recently enquired about !!!

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 17 Oct 2001 15:17:08

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 17 Oct 2001 15:18:11

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 17 Oct 2001 15:19:26

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 17 Oct 2001 15:20:04

Andy - what are you looking for in terms of your SLR exhaust system?

I too am interested in Hoops deal but if I can get yours on the cheap then that could be of interest to me.

Would be willing to send a deposit to reserve!

thoughts

rob

Initially I'm looking to get my head read! Be warned anyone starting out on the upgrade path that it never stops!

Rob - not sure, hadn't thought about it properly. It obviously wouldn't be as much as the bespoke system is going to cost, but how much of a dive I want to take on it I haven't yet thought.

What I want to do is check out the vital stats on the Caterham one and see if there's any point. Just haven't got round to it yet!

But I will let you know smile.gif

Just noticed the comments about catch tanks above.....

I discovered that Lotus do a 1 liter alloy catch tank and breather kit for the 340R - I've asked Lotus to send me some more details - cost is about £40.

Has anyone else looked at these before?

I found a reference to it on www.m250.co.uk/news.htm - there is a brief description of the contents of the kit which appears to include all the hoses and blanking plugs to convert a K-series to vent through the catch tank instead of into the inlet.

I phoned Lotus technical on 01953 608000 to get more information because the dealer support people had never seen one.

Miraz

Pierre,

The explanation given on the website is:-

"The breather system allows non combustible gasses to vent from the engine into the catch tank which is open to atmosphere. The catch tank catches all the heavy crankcase fumes which are, made up of water, oil residue, hydrocarbons, soot and loads of nasties. Removing these increases the in cylinder detonation limit and allows higher cylinder pressures to be run without detonation this allow the engine to operate with slightly enhanced output. Crankcase gasses effectively lower the octane rating of the fuel."

I've also got a dry sump which vents out an oily mist when it gets hot - the standard caterham catch tank for the vent is a plastic bottle with some holes drilled in the top - this allows the oily mist to escape and coat everything it can get to with oil. I want something a little neater that I can vent out near the back of the car.

Miraz