Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Buffing

Lali

The "art" of removing loads of tread from new tyres. Places like micheldever tyres do it for you. It helps with dry weather performance. I prefer my tyres to have around 4mm or less on them for the sprints and hills. Unless it's absolutely bucketing down, they're OK for the wet tooeek.gif

When you have a lot of tread depth, the rubber squirms around a lot and that generates heat throughout the tread volume. The surface area dissipating the heat doesn't change. Therefore tyres with lots of tread depth run hotter (overheat). Buffing is all about removing tread depth to the point where you don't overheat the tyres.

Biggest bollocking I've ever had is when I had to explain "buffing" to my precious........."£300 hundred worth of new tyres, then you pay a man to f**k them up" she said............I explain nothing now and keep me gob shut!!!

Kenny HPC

From new. I don't believe there is any benefit in "running in" a tyre......Even if there is, I can see little point in ordering and fitting new tyres, driving a few miles, then taking them off again, sending them for buffing, and re-fitting. Bear in mind that they need to be removed and re-fitted from/to your (probably) expensive alloys, it gives the fella at "Kwik Fit" 3 chances to ruin a rim or twosad.gif

There's a cheap buffing service in Hastings called the Boyz.

The approved method is in Tesco's carpark at about 10:30pm. Manoever till the tyres are adjacent to a speed bump (a series of handbrake turns at 60mph seems most effective) and then release the clutch sharply as the engine sits on the rev limiter. After just a few minutes the tyres are nicely buffed.

Once the brigade have put out the fire, the police inform the owner that their tyres are now buffed and they're free to pick them up - the steel bands anyway.