Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brise Starter Problems.

Johnty Lyons

Have just run into a problem with a Brise Starter the Solenoid will not drop out so when car starts engine turns starter instead of pinion dropping out same thing happens if it dosn't start let go key and starter continues to run even with MFU disconnected and even if you dis the soleniod wire ☹️

seems like pinion is jamming in mesh and not returning thus keeping main contacts closed,

Anyone had this before or any ideas??? *confused*

The starter on my xflow (stock, not Brise) jammed on the first or second time I turned it over. A quick thinking friend (who'd seen it happen before) gave it a whack with a wrench (mind the hot lead ) which unstuck it. Never happened again.

I think it's not unusual for the solenoids on pre-engaged starters to be a little sticky at the ends of their travel when new. In general, I think they loosen up after having been cycled a number of times. However, I suppose if it's a continuing problem it may mean some kind of service is required.

It could also be a jam of the pinion in the ring gear I suppose, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't un-jam itself as it turned, unless there is a draft angle that is reversed on the ring gear or something. *confused*

Not sure any of this is of much help to you. Apologies if not.

Dave

Edited by - xflow7 on 2 Apr 2005 15:21:04

Well its not the pinion binding, cos now ive pulled the exhaust off and the brace out and removed it it stil does it on the bench And it's not the gearbox cos ive striped that and cleaned and reassembled it so its the solenoid itself either internall short or sticking. The car itself had an oil problem it was everywhere, would remind you of a Xflow, the starter was full of it [now cleaned with carb cleaner ] I'll set to the solenoid next and see where I get from there

B****dy cars,perhaps i should go back to IT *eek*

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the same problem .... ☹️

Fitted new brise starter on 1.8k series ....starter does not dis-engage and smoke from starter (switched off quick ...but still).

It is only 3 bolts so I cannot think I have fitted it incorrectly - any suggestions please?

Peter

Missing ths sunshine ... *confused*

Edited by - Peter Duce on 1 May 2005 11:31:19