Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Breathing Zetec

TravellinMan

Having traded up (?) to a 2litre Zetec the only problem i have left is rattling tappets - of the hydraulic variety.

In trying to erradicate them i'm running different tests to see what has the best effect. overfilling with oil seems to be the accepted cure and it appears to work.

Except that my engine just pumps the "excess" oil into the catch tank. Not a lot of use for some extended enjoyment!

I appear to be getting oil out of both the crankcase and cylinder head breather ports. What arrangement of brerather pipes do people run? How do you provide a "liquid trap" (upturned U bend) on the head breather (only an inch clear of the bonnet?)?

Any help greatly accepted.

Travellin' Man

Tony Boyd

97,000 miles in 6 years!

Tony,

Give James Whiting a ring. When I fitted my Zetec (1800 on 45's) I asked what to do about the breathers, and he informed me that he'd never known one blow anything more that some light vapour, so there should be no need to do anything. He may have some idea as to why you need more oil, or what is happening to you tappets.

Dave

I had a similar problem to you with my 2.0 zetec, what is your oil pressure like, what typre of oil are you running.

I found that running the ford reccomended 5w-30 (as opposed to mobil 1) seriously reduced the rattling tappets to zero rattlings.

What sump do you have?

Edited by - julians on 15 Oct 2001 16:25:53

I use the Raceline Sump. added the correct Zetec volume of oil (as per Haynes Manual) and recalibtared dip stick.

would there be a problem with fitting a "swirl pot" type reservoir (apollo tank?)to feed any ejected oil back into the sump? I guess dry-sump systems work this way so the ejected oil can't be that bad for the engine. regular oil changes might help.

Travellin' Man

Tony Boyd

97,000 miles in 6 years!

Not sure what the Haynes manual says but chatting to Raceline last night abotu my approaching install they say to put 5lts of oil in as that is what the sump is designed for. Can you remember what the Haynes said, my borrowed copy is at home.

Also, what oil are you running, thin Mobil one might well be too thin...I am going to wait and see what my car is like, but an appollo typ tank is on my list of things I might need half way through next year.

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

Raceline's instruction sheet for the sump states that the 5 liter oil level is critical. Also check that the original Ford oil splash shield has been retained. Without that shield oil will definately blow out the breather. My Zetec blows no oil other than a mist.

James F. Rogers

Checked the Haynes manual last night and a 2.0l should take 4.25 litres when fitting in the Mondeao (sp)

If you filled it with this much then it could possibly be that it wasn't enough oil and this gave you the tappy tappets. Doesn't explain the engine breathing so much though. Call Raceline, very helpful and willing to chat. If you drop in you can have a good look at the new Duratech they have just got running.

Phil Waters

"Driving OR Fixing?"

I'm using Comma SynerG (5w40).

Oil pressure is very good. typically 4 bar during warm running. 0-5 bar gauage is off the scale when cold.

during thrashing the pressure might waiver around 4 bar.

Never gets below 2.5, even on tickover when very hot.

I'm goinfg to take the sump off and investigate further.

What breather plumbing do poeple use? I've used the standard Ford block breather item with a similar bore extension to the metal pipe. Might this be pressurising the block and preventing oil returning to the sump?

Travellin' Man

Tony Boyd

97,000 miles in 6 years!

Sorry Tony, you have just exceeded my knowledge of this area. However, Raceline do a breather box/kit - did you fit this of keep the system that came with the engine? No idea of the differences...and can't find a picture of it on their web site here

Phil Waters

"Driving OR Fixing?"