Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dip in oil pressure after fitting a Hellier Baffle - updated after first test on track

Pelico

Back from Le Bugatti track at Le Mans.

Dry track, Apollo, Laminova, Motul R300V 5W40, 32Rs SS (205 60 13 at the rear), 1,6 K SS (self limitation @ 7000 rpm), oil temp. 80 °C.

Oil Pressure 3,5 bars all the time. Did not move.

Exactly the same as last year with the foam (now replaced by the Hellier baffle).

Very satisfied as I got rid from this engine killer *thumbup*

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 25 Apr 2005 12:49:44

I'm slightly worried about how the oil in front of, and behind of the pickup compartment makes it's way inside.The baffle is a pretty tight fit into the sump contour. I would have thought that maybe a one way ball valve on the front and rear walls of the compartment at the lowest point might assist.

oily

Oil Pressure 3,5 bars all the time. Did not move.

Which gauges?

I've got SPA Dual Gauges - and the OP one is damped a lot less than some of the dial-gauges - so just because your needles remained steady *doesn't* mean the pressure hasn't bottomed out...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Well, on the same circuit, 2 years ago with 21 Rs and no Apollo, the same needle (Caterham 1997 gauge) was oscillating quite significantly (by one bar) towards the low pressure side, so that, since it does not anymore with Apollo/Laminova/Hellier baffle fitted, I figure that it must be OK.

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 25 Apr 2005 20:04:59

All right, I just find that I missed to detail one of the previous steps.

One year ago with Apollo/Laminova fitted/foam, 32Rs SS and Motul R300V, the needle did not move on the same circuit.

Last week-end, with foam replaced by the Hellier baffle, the needle did not move.

So that, in my case, I am satisfied that the baffle did not bring any instability Vs the foam, and is hopefully more durable (plastic one-way valves ?).

More generally, the French seem to complain less than you guys about oil pressure drop. Since we are pretty quick too *wink*, it might be that the LHD set up helps (Apollo on the RHS).

Pierre

Doesn't matter where the Apollo is sited (as long as it's not the moon) as far as OP is concerned. One thing to bear in mind is how fast the gauge reacts. A mechanical one is faster than electrical. The Caterham branded gauge is very slow but the older VDO is reasonably quick.

I'm considering one of these baffles but the mixed response is causing me to hold off for a little longer...one question I have is would it not be reasonable to produce a modified pick up pipe that had a better position for collecting the oil? And also...by my understanding...the oil goes from the pick up to the pupm, through the oil filter (and apollo if fitted) and then gets spread around the engine so surely the air has been removed by this time. Or am I getting the order of the oil ways wrong?

Kevsta, I wouldn't say its a mixed response, on the whole people find it works very well for them. Only myself and Pelico (from what is posted on Blatchat) have noticed drops in the guage around corners, I plan to drop the sump and have a close look at mine...

Edited by - knowley on 27 Apr 2005 00:12:31

No not just the 2 of you, I have seen the op gauge droping, swing lots while watching the vid at Longcross sprint. I am currently using mob1 and think I might change to a thicker grade to see if this resolves it.

I am also going to try to get my data logger set up for OP as this might give me a true picture of what is happening.

I was worried about the foam baffle breaking up and cousing engine problems, I am now worried about OP cousing engine problems.

David

Wnen Dave Andrews and I were rebuilding my engine we fitted the baffle and when we were putting the pick up pipe back in Oily noticed rub marks on the inside of the ump pan caused by contact with the strainer. The net effect was that there was the meerest of gaps for the oil to enter the pickup.

It may be worth checking this. Oily changed the shape of mine to allow more room for the passage of oil by the use of "hammer and drift".

Grant

Black and stone chip.

Engine now running (thanks Oily!) Got the first 300 miles under my belt *smile*

here

That's 4 people seeing pressure drops, given some time I'm sure there will be more reports. Sadly it seems like mk1 of the baffle is not quite what was hoped...but perhaps the design can be improved - maybe also modified for those who already bought it?

I had a look at the sump this weekend while fitting the Pace dry sump, and I can see why modifying the original one is hard. It's very shallow. The fact that you don't gain much road clearance when changing to dry sump says a lot.

Would it not be possible to put in two pick up pipes...one at either side of the sump pan (so to collect for both left and right hand corners)...would it be possible to but a pressure valve of some sort in that meant that oil would only be drawn from the pick up that had the higher suction force (ie the one immersed in oil still)...just an idea thats all...don't know if this sort of thing is available...

Is it also worth asking why the difference in success with this baffle.

Could there be some tiny subtleties about where and how it is located ?

Does grade of oil matter ? (I am on Mobil 1 0w40 - could this be so thin that it slips past the baffle as if it is not there)

Is there another variable ? (pick-up pipe location, gap between strainer and sump pan !)

I did even wonder if the baffle valves could be fitted the wrong way round 😬