Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lowered Floor Pan

susser

I am convinced that the only way to get the top of my head low enough to stop it catching the vortices off the top of the screen and also remove the screen top from my direct line of vision, is to fit one of them lowered floor jobbies; Been and seen one at Dartford today and it's raised a few Qs.1, How does the outside (sideskin) side attach. ie is it behind the skin like the normal floor ?. 2, The outside side is vertical, so are the rivets are fitted horizontally ?. 3 If I drill out all the rivets am I going to get rattles as all the mandrels and bits clatter about inside ?.

1. Between the inside sideskin and the chassis rail.

2. Yup.

3. Squirt a whole aerosol tin of Dinitrol 3125 Cavity Wax in through the rivet holes.

The 4mm rivets are steel and your ordinary pop rivet gun won't close the rivets - you'll need one that specifies the ability to close 4mm steel rivets - start your arm exercises now 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Graham Torbitt was showing me his last weekend.

He will be there next Monday I'd have thought so have a good look at his.

If I were to go down this route (which I don't need to at 5' 10") I'd do as Graham did and get Arch to do it.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Smashin' Nifty. I'll have a look on Mon. If you're 5'10" you are 1 1/2" shorter than me, so you must get the same view as I would with a lowered floor. I'll have a chat on Mon night about vortex shedding off the swede. That should be good. *thumbup*

The lower inside sideskin rivets must be removed - as you say, plus the same rivets at the rear. Slide-up the new floor between the inside sideskin and the chassis tubing, mark-out the rivet holes, remove the new floor, drill the rivet holes, re-insert the new floor between the inside sideskin and chassis tubing and put the rivets in horizontally. It will look exactly the same inside as your existing set-up.

I had some light corrosion between the old floor and chassis tubing on the outside edge, plus some powder coat chipped off. It's a good idea to give the mating areas a good brushing with waxoyl before reassembly. To top-it-off, I dipped each steel rivet in waxoyl before inserting and closing.

Steel chassis, aluminium alloy skin and steel rivets do not a good combination make - the slightest moisture will corrode the assembly like a bandit *eek*

To mark-out the other rivet holes it's a good idea to use the old floor as a template, but first the outside and rear edge needs about an inch cutting off so it will line-up with the new floor.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

That's great Tony. I don't want the extra trouble and expense of an Arch Motors job but I don't want to devalue the car with a bodge. I'm pretty sure I can hack this. I need to be absolutely sure though, that this is the most appropriate solution. *thumbup*

Nice looking car harenm.

susser, I too was unsure whether the lowered floor would make a noticeable difference - it does for me. Even about 2" lower is significant. I'm 6' 2" and have Brooklands - the lowered floor makes me feel I'm more "in" the car. There is much less head buffeting and the view is better.

Fitting the new floor is no big deal if you take your time, measure twice and "cut" once - go for it 😬

That's some great feedback. Those pictures certainly answer a number of questions that I had. *thumbup* There are a number of other areas to explore; Went for a blat yesterday with the hoodbag in it's "rightful" position, ie strapped to the roll bar. It seemed to reduce the amount of air hitting the back of my neck. The issue of airflow is clearly a complicated one. Soon, someones bound to suggest chucking the screen. *idea*

"You've got a screen? *eek*." I suppose I saw that one coming. I had a bit of a debate on the subject of my car's spec' prior to going shopping. I guess the car is just about right, but I've got upgradeitis already. I don't want to chase power/weight ratio 'cos I won't win. But, I could maybe go for a Tonneau, Momo QD wheel, CR500s, Wind deflector, Cycles, lowered floor, etc. I've only been a sevener in material terms for 6 months, so what am I going to be like in a year's time ??. *confused*

Yes Grant. I suppose this is a kind of similar thing as "there are two kinds of people in this world my friend" (The Good The Bad and the Ugly), those with cycle wings and those who haven't changed their Clamshells yet, or, There are those with Aeroscreens/ Deflectors and those who haven't got round to dumping their screen yet, I'm sure there are many similar comparisons. 🤔

Paulo. That's a valid solution. But. One of the criteria I had for the original Wish List was leather seats, for comfort, thigh support, and the ability to jiffle (harness allowing) as I've got a narrow butt and need to keep the blood flowing around the old Gluteus Maximus. Might hafta have a sit in one to checkit out. *thumbup*