Click here if you are having website access problems ×

race spec fuel tank

daniel smith

If in doubt ring the manufacturers ATL with the number written on the tank to find out its year.

It's almost certain to be the same year as your car, if that is pre 2000 it will be over 5 years old and in need of a manufacturers' check, if pre-98 it will be out of its 7-year lifetime and is no longer suitable for racing series in which an FIA bag tank is required. Give Phil at ATL a ring on 01908 351700. Website is http://www.atlltd.com

In the latter case I'm afraid it's not really worth anything much. What you could do is offer it to someone to use in non-FIA level Caterham racing (of which there is quite a lot, Academy, Roadsports, Grads etc), if the series in question will accept it. I had to obtain special permission from the organisers to race with mine in this way. ATL will recondition it, re-pressure test it and give you a letter to declare that it's safe to use - they charge around £100 for doing this.

Anyone who wants to do this will also need the aluminium box to surround the tank, unless you have one in your car and you sell that with it. To have one made by ATL for these tanks is around £300 including VAT.

So it could be an attractive option to someone in club racing or doing trackdays who is going to spend the £1500 on an ATL tank anyway, but IMO nothing like half price bearing in mind they will get 7 years' usage for their £1500.

Hope this helps - if you want any more information drop me a line through my profile.

Andrew

My 2.0VX track car is for sale here