Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel tank leak

Mike Bees

My (injection) fuel tank has leaked from around the pump seal on & off pretty much from new. I've tried nipping up the bolts on the pump (that helped for a while, but the leak returned), I've tried changing the seal (that helped for a while, but the leak returned), I've tried changing the seal and using a fuel-resistant sealant (guess what - that helped for a while, but the leak returned), and now I've had enough of it.

Question is, should I just stump up the £££ for a new tank or is it worth taking the tank to an aluminium welder/fabricator (anyone know who makes them?) and getting it modified? I was wondering whether a thicker end-plate would be less prone to distortion from the bolts and thus less likely to leak. The current one is quite distorted, although I don't know if that is normal.

Mike

Hi Mike

I was talking to Mick at Redline the other day about a problem I have fitting my new fuel tank, non injection, and he mentioned that the injection ones do have a tendency to leak from the pump seal. I didn't go into details with him as it wasn't relevant to my problem but it may be worth you having a chat with him as he may have some ideas on a cure.

Good Luck

Ray

Mike

I have exactly the same problem. I think its something to do with the rivnuts distorting the tank against the gasket. I have also tried fuel resistant sealer, tightening the screws evenly (very gently at first) and the last time it happened I even left it out of the car full of water for a month to check it sealed.

Needless to say after checking it every day, when I finally came round to fitting it that was the day it leaked. 🙆🏻

Touch wood I havent seen a leak for about 6 months now through gradual tightening of the screws. The only solution I can think of is to fix some kind of supporting ring to the rivnuts that the fuel pump screws to. Hopefully this would give an even tension all round.

New fuel tank for me too if it happens again ☹️

Woo-hoo, some replies!

I'm dropping mine off at Dartford tomorrow for Simon L. to take a look at next week. It's noticeably distorted around every rivnut which I'm not sure is right - we'll see. I wondered about cutting away a large section of the RH end and welding on a much thicker piece of ali to mount the pump to so the bolts can be tighter without distorting the tank.

Mike

Mike, couldn't you just make a couple of O's out of thicker ali. Put one inside and one outside and squash them together with new rivnuts? They would have the advantage of keeping the thin tank metal straight and you would be able to screw the pump in much tighter.

I think you'd need to make the inside O out of two parts to get it into the tank, but that ought not present too hard a task.