Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Latest AP Front Calipers

Rob Walker

I have just fitted a set. Problem, its not possible to fit the top pad retaining pin without unbolting the caliper from the upright or removing the cycle wing stay. What a brilliant bit of design work! What was wrong with the old design? Also I am not confident with the spring fixings for the pad retaining pins, they simply press into the caliper body not very safe.

These calipers are definate step backwards IMHO a big *thumbdown*

Edited by - Rob Walker on 30 Mar 2005 19:11:41

Easiier to unbolt the caliper than the wing stay (I think) but yes it's less than ideal for a bespoke bit.

Pins are OK though as they shouldn't see any end load in operation therefore the clips are just to shakeproof the pin location.

Big 😬when you use them though. Use them gently until properly bedded in *wink* (see threads about cracked rotors etc)

Simon.

I am surprised at your response. Surely the point is Why have Caterham changed to this caliper when its clearly not an improvement over the two previous AP calipers. For me its a pretty fundemental that I am able to change the pads with the minamum of hassle and one would hope that the caliper was designed with the utmost safety in mind and that the design made it impossible for the pad retaining pins to ever come loose.

I'm guessing it may not have been Caterham's choice. The new caliper is shared with the MG TF along with several other cars so it may just have been AP saying that the old one was no longer available.

As an aside I think the new caliper has a slightly larger pad area than the old one? but I could be wrong..

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I mean......

I helped build an R300 with these calipers and fitted calipers and uprights onto the car along with wingstay etc etc.......then tried to fit the pads......doh! That time I had to loosen the caliper bolts to allow it to swing down to fit the pads.......

This time round I fitted the pads prior to installing the upright / caliper on the car.

I totally agree it`s a balls up of a design as far as replacing pads is concerned. I don`t get your point about the pins though........the pins on my tintop are pretty much the same idea.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here