Click here if you are having website access problems ×

steering problem

jono

following an evening blat yesterday i noticed on the home run that my momo wheel was 20 or so degrees out of true when driving in straight line *confused* When I got back I noticed there is play in the steering wheel, ie it will turn the same degree either way before it acts the front wheels. Didn't do this pre blat. Its a bit worrying - any suggestions?

• Support Team

That sounds pretty serious. First thing I would check is the upper steering column clamp. Take the bonnet off and you'll easily see the clamp behind the brake master cylinder. The clamp is in two pieces and is clamped around the steering column using 2 bolts. The lower steering column slides into the upoper steering column and there is a flat area that the clamp goes around. If the clamp has come slightly loose then the lower column will be able to turn in the upper column. It's all pretty obvious when you look at it.

The only other possibility is that the QR boss has come loose - I'm not sure how that goes together as I didn't fit mine.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I suggest you don't drive the car again until you've discovered the problem.

There is a universal joint (UJ) at the steering rack end of the steering shaft with splines to prevent relative rotation - the clamps on the UJ may be loose.

At the upper end of the steering shaft there is another joint that allows the shaft to collapse in the event of an accident - this is a 'U' Clamp with a flat plate, this could also be loose.

If it's not the above, check for rack wear.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

• Support Team

Just checked the assembly manual and knowley's description is correct for later cars. My car is a 1997 and doesn't have the big locknut and grub screw.

As Tony said, the UJ at the steering rack end could also be the issue. The lower column slides into the UJ and a bolt goes through the UJ to clamp it on.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 30 Mar 2005 10:04:07