Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine wear query

julians

I have recently had my engine rebuilt (2.0 Zetec), immediately after the rebuild hot idle oil pressure was about 4 bar and at 3000rpm was at about 5 bar, now after 2000 miles and a couple of trackdays I'm seeing hot idle pressure of 3 bar and at 3000rpm about 4 bar.

I presume this is normal behaviour for a new engine and will eventually plateau once the engine is fully run in. Just looking for some reassurance.

I have wet sump zetec 2.0 l 6 years old, currently 4.5 bar at 3 k + after 22,000 miles and 2.5 - 3 Bar idle using Mobil 1 15/50

I did have an oil pressure problem a 18 months ago when I found oil pressure decreased as revs increased??! It turned out to be the pick up pipe silver soldered joint had fractured (possibly I bent it when I put the sump on?) and it was sucking in air and blowing "lemonade" around the oil ways. Here I had 3 bar on idle and 2.5 bar at 4k.

When repaired I checked the big end shells - only the slightest scratching, but renewed anyway. I also changed over to a Raceline sump which is much better engineered than my previous one, and does away with the vulnerable pickup pipe.

Which sump system do you have?

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . .

Thanks for the replies.

Kenny, the engine needed a rebuild because of a couple of reasons, it was lacking compression due to the cylinders being totally shiny/smooth (through bore wash I presume, it was running far too rich), and the bearings were starting to knock from a problem which was a combination of the pickup pipe sucking up air at high revs, and the escaping gasses from the worn cylinders pressurising the sump, meaning that I could never put enough oil in it to prevent surge because it started to get blown out. all seems OK now.

probably be going for some new cams over the winter, I feel 200bhp should be nice.

Using the raceline sump.