Click here if you are having website access problems ×

English axle oil seals

John Gaines

• Area Representative

Seals form part of the bearing on the halfshaft. To renew the bearing you need to withdraw the halfshaft and cut off the bearing retainer with an angle grinder or similar. Replace bearing and then heat up new retainer and replace when hot and then it will shrink to fit. (I also normally put a couple of tack welds onto the retainer.

HOWEVER in my experience its not usually the bearing seal that leaks, but rather oil passes between the bearing and the axle casing. This is a simple and cheap cure and something you should try before anything else.

First remove halfshaft. To do this you first jack up car and remove the wheel and brake drum. You then undo the 4 bolts which hold the halfshaft retaining plate - you access these by using a 1/2" socket on a short extension through holes in the end of the half shaft. Then remove halfshaft with a puller - I have one you can borrow if you are anywhere near Bury, Lancs. Make sure car is stable on good axle stand when attacking with puller!!

Clean up face where bearing sits in axle and then coat with silicone sealant. Replace halfshaft, drum, wheel etc.

Job done.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

What is an English axle?

Is it the same as an Ital?

Im looking for new oil seals for my Live Axle Ital and trying to find part numbers if any one has any code numbers or knows where to find them I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Graeme