Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure???

DOD7

I used to have 4 bars while running and 2 bars at idle with my 1.6K. Now, I am at 3 bars or lower while running and 1 at idle. The car is 9000km now and is due to renew the oil at 10000km. It had been done at 1500km, in December. Am I the only one? Is there a risk to the engine if I continue driving my car 1000km before the next maintenance?

I assume that you are not planning to do the oil-change yourself, otherwise you would change it now as a precaution...

It might just be the sender/gauge/wiring (less than perfectly reliable on a caterham), but OP is usually more robust than the coolant/oil-temp systems...

...or it might be that your sump-foam (assuming it is fitted and you have a wet-sump) is breaking up and blocking the oil-pickup (in which case you are risking serious bearing damage by continuing to run the car)...

...or it might be that your oil is past its' best and simply needs changing.

However, are you sure the OT is not just higher at this time of year compared to what it was reaching during your early ownership during the winter??? Do you have an OT gauge?

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Yes, I have a wet sump. I do not intend to do it myself as I am not equipped to lift the car up and my sump has a protection that needs to be removed in order to change the oil.

My biggest fear is that a piece of foam is actually blocking the oil flow but I bought the car brand new on Dec 3rd, 2004. It cannot be that... I hope. I did not quite understand what you wrote about OT. Is it Oil Temp? Is the pressure supposed to go down with an increase in temperature? I would think that it is the other way around (PV = N RT). All I have is a water temperature gauge. I haven't noticed any obvious difference in temperature between the winter and now.

Yep, sorry - common abbreviations are:

OT -oil temp

WT - coolant/water temp

OP - Oil pressure

It's not so much that pressure goes down with temperature directly- it's more that the oil tends to get thinner with increased temperature, and *this* makes maintaining pressure harder. It's quite natural to get lower running-pressures if the oil is significantly warmer.

As an illustration- on startup, I sometimes see OPs as high as 5-6 bar (75-90psi) at this time of year with the OT at around 10deg C - when running at normal temp (70-80 deg C), this is back down to 4 to 4.5 bar (60ish psi) - but on Friday on a trackday with OT at 95 degC, my OP was down to around 3.5bar (50+psi) - all measure with SPA gauges, so more accurate and reliable than with CCs standard gauges.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

These readings seem very similar to mine, which seem to have changed since I changed the oil a few weeks ago. Before this I got 4 bar cold when running, and 3 bar hot. Now I seem to get 4 bar cold and under 3 bar when hot, and under 2 at idle when hot. Sump was dropped and new baffle fitted ( old one was like new!) and re-filled with 15/50 fully synth oil. Any ideas why the readings should have changed???????? Inside of the sump was clean as a whistle. Only thing thats different, is new oil.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

And you paid How much for yr Car??

Change the OIL.. remember it's far more about the change intervals than the type of oil used ...10k intervals are errrr...a silly risk.. given the price of a few litres of oil.

yep, change the oil.

In a type of car that gets so much abuse (driven hard) , nearly all the time, I'd be changing the oil say every 2000 miles. - as you're giving the oil a really hard time.

Personally it's something that I do religiously.

Myles. I think you may be right. When I checked the level last week, it was a bit too high up the stick. Also, oil temp does seem higher when driven hard. Is this likely to cause me a problem?????? Trouble is, the car didn't use any oil in 3000 miles last time, so it won't naturally disappear. Is there an easy way to let a little out.

Thanks in advance.

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

• Area Representative

Change the oil pressure sender.

They are the problem in 99 out of 100 cases.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Update, for anyone who's interested.

Turns out I had overfilled the sump ( thanks to Myles for his input). Let out exactly 1/2 litre of oil, which turned out to be spot on, according to the dipstick. Oil pressure and temp have now returned to normal after rigorous testing today. 😬

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport