Click here if you are having website access problems ×

drysumpfor vhpd

dmt1

i,m thinking of buying a slr but not if i would benifit from a dry sump or not,my use would be mainly fast road with the occasionnel track day,1100 quid is a lot of money and would it be money well worth spent,also would it increase b.h.p.

Dry sumps are a longevity measure, not a power measure so the answer to the last bit is almost certainly no. Some dry sump vendors do report power gains (through the engine running under a vacuum or witchcraft or something) but I suspect any large claims would be hokum. I think it's like alternators etc - a bad one can sap power, a good one just minimises any losses.

A VHPD used mainly on the road will last happily with just an Apollo tank (search the forum for lots of info on these) - if you don't get a dry sump you *must* get one of these (200 quid or so).

The "problem" is, once you take your car on track you will almost certainly get the bug and want to take it on more and more. And will probably start using it harder on the road. At which point a dry sump becomes very sensible.

The dry sump is 1700+ as an after market add on so if there's even the remotest possibility you may use it on track regularly, it'd make sense to buy one up front. It will also help resale value should you come to flog the car in the "exchange of property" sense.

One other option...Pace are currently looking at developing an after market dry sump kit for the K. It is highly likely that this system will prove "better" in use and design than the Caterham one (search for threads on the Cat' dry sump as there are weaknesses with it). It should also, as a full kit, come in around the 1100 mark, possibly a chunk less. So you could add this later (hopefully it'lll be availble early next year as I want one for mine!).

As many others will confirm, I'm no expert smile.gif. Let's call it acquired knowledge!

I don't think the SLR comes as standad with the Apollo, but have never bought an SLR (mine's a "self" modified K) so couldn't be sure. Have a word with Caterham and see what they say (it really ought to).

Are you thinking of ordering one imminently? Ask them at what stage you have to seriously make your mind up about the dry sump piece to get it at the 1100 price (they should be able to add it on easily towards the end of the build, if they're going to build it for you), then maybe hold off until January to see what progress there is with the Pace kit (are waiting times still iro 3-4mths?).