Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice - Fuel Tank Leak

GrannY OrB TuneR

Recently fitted the Alloy Fuel Filler Cap. Filled up with petrol late yesterday & went for a very short blat. Later noticed that fuel was leaking from rear of car (drivers side).

After a bit of investigating I noticed that 1 of the rubber nipples has broken off. Not a great description I know so refer to picture at the end of the docucment here note the rubber nipple in the 1 o'clock position on the round disc - this is the one that has broken away. It seems that fuel is seeping from this point.

1) Is this a feasible conclusion?

2) Is this just a simple case of replace rubber nipple once fuel level is below that point?

3) Am I barkling up the wrong tree?

4) What purpose do these rubber nipples serve?

5) Is it a fuel tank out job to repair?

On mine the pipe to the fuel pump/filter located behind the drivers seat is rubbing against said nipple so possible that this would have been caused over a period of time.

Thanks in advance

Gary

*thumbup* GrannY OrB TuneR *thumbup*

😳 Tweaker Of Fine Granny Orbs ! 😳

*biggrin* Superlight No: 170 *biggrin*

• Support Team

The rubber nipples are part of the fuel pump gasket. If one has broken off then the gasket could be suspect. Would suggest you replace the gasket. Not necessarily a fuel tank out job.

Empty the tank and then undo the 6 screws you can see in the picture. You can then pull the fuel pump out of the tank, feed the gasket over it and replace.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hi Gary

I'm sorry that I can't help you with your problem as I have a Crossflow with a non-ventilated tank. However I was wondering if you could help me. Having looked at the photo link of the tank I noticed it had the angled steel bar with retaining rods to secure it rather than the steel bands in older models. I have just had to replace my tank due to a leak and when I tighten the rods they pull the tank back into the rear of the car which makes the angle for the inlet hose virtually impossible to fit. It looks to me as if there ought to be some spacers between the back of the tank and the rear chassis uprights.

There weren't any spacers when I removed the old tank, although it did have some foam pads stuck on the rear of the tank, but I think there was movement in the tank which probably caused the leak by rubbing against the angled sections on which it rests.

If you or anyone else readig this can help I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Ray