Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series head torque

MJS

Once I finally get some miles on my 7, my thoughts turn to carrying out the first service. I would assume that re-torquing the head is a necessity so was wondering if there are any particular nasties with the K series? Is it advisable to slacken the bolts / nuts (not sure which) a tad, then re-tighten to the specified torque? Presumably if I bought a Haynes manual for a K series engined car it will tell me what I need to know regarding tightening sequence / torque value?

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt.

Remember that the 'K' series has 'head bolts' that are actually screwing into the lower oil gallery and preventing the liners from turning etc etc. They are not just short studs, but some 400 odd mm long ! They go from the head right through to that lower oil rail. Their set up is to initially torque to 20Nm (in sequence of course), then turn each one through 180* + another 180*.That last turn is somewhat daunting at first.

I would say that unless you have a problem (ie. leaking head gasket etc), then I'd leave alone. Don't fix what ain't broke !!!

Cheers fellas. That's what I was wondering because I knew of the unusual way the K series is put together. It's just that I thought it would be prudent to re-torque to account for any settling in of the bolts. But if you say it's not necessary, then that's fine with me.

Brilliant, oil and filter change then get some more miles on it!

Cheers,

Matt.