Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cycle wings - what size?

Richard J Darnell

I've just gone from 16" to 13" wheels and assumed I would need to change the cycle wings.

However my current cycle wings don't look too bad and I'm wondering whether the change is worthwhile.

Caterham seem to do 13"/14" or 15"/16" cycle wings and I assume I have the 15"/16" type otherwise the 16" HPC wheels wouldn't fit (?)

Can someone point me in the right direction so i can see what the 13"/14" wings would look like compared to mine? Is it possible to adjust the distance between the wing and the wheel?

Looking a various pictures of sevens, some cycle wings seem longer than mine ie. the back bit is closer to the ground.

Can you choose long and short cycle wings as well as 13"/14" and 15"/16" sizes?

by the way, thanks for all those people that encouraged me to change from 16" to 13" wheels - the steering/ride is so much better - it's like a brand new car!

Two sizes of cycle wings are available 15/16" and 13/14". Sounds like you have the 15/16" as 16" wheels would not fit under 13/14" wings. There are also three different wingstay lenghts so if you want to acheive the 13/14" wings as low as possible over your 13" wheels you will neeed the SLR Race wingstays.

Interesting one Rob,

My car originally (when I bought it 2nd hand)had 13" on. I went to 16" because I was worried about cleareance (only 1.5"!!!). when I fitted the 16" wheels they fitted under the wings/stays, but fouled the inner corner of the stays. I rang Caterham who then sold me some 16" stays which were exactly the same size, but had the corner section flattened to clear the 16".

Incidentally, I'm now going back to the 13", as I don't like the driving characteristics of the 16".

Mike