Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry Sump people. Now a Help! posting

Chris__

How much oil do you get out of your engine if you drain it by taking the plate off, and the pipe running from the front to the back of the sump (plus taking filter off)? Bit worried as I've only got 3 litres out of it, and the 2 litres of mineral left are going to be mixing with the part synth I'm putting back in for pt 2 of the running in process... Everyone tell me I'm worrying about nothing please *thumbup* as I'm too terrified to run the engine(therefore d/s pump) to drain it, or mess about with hand cranking the dry sump pump *eek*

Chris.

Edited by - Chris__ on 25 Mar 2005 18:58:10

Edited by - Chris__ on 25 Mar 2005 18:58:26

not very helpfull ,but each time i change mine i seem to get a different amount out !

last time it was about 4to 4.5 L having removed the blue plate and filter,I never bother about removing the pipes.

Assuming the two oils are compatible i would have thought that you could bung the new in,run for a few hundred miles and change again.Whatever you do you will never get it all out .

Help!

Took the plugs out to bring the pressure back up - pressure was building fine - then oil warning lights came on and it appears I've lost all pressure. Nothing's leaking - what's going on? Only thing that seemed odd is a lick of flame came out of no 1 at 1 point, despite the plug chamber being empty?

Should I leave it and try cranking it again in a bit?

Chris.

In answer to your first post the amount i get out varies. I guess it depends om how long the car has been sitting there with the oil slowly draining back into the sump. I changes the oil an hour ago and got maybe 3.5l taking off blue plate, filter and hose to front of engine. God knows where rest is, but I cant be bothered with turning pum by hand, taking off pulleys etc. I change it often and the remnants get well diluted...not perfect, but no harm likely.

Not sure about second post, sorry. Maybe check your levels and then crank again. If it's not all over the floor it's in the engine/system!

When cranking with the plugs out its good practise to unplug the inertia switch with is located on the near side of the engine bay scuttle bulkhead. This cuts the supply to the fuel pump preventing fuel being sprayed into the engine and causing the flame, presumabley ignited by one of the spark plugs.

loss of oil pressure could be an air lock. Good practise to fill the oil filter before screwing it onto the car. Just keep cranking the engine it sould clear.

Getting most of the oil out is no big problem just take the scavenge pump belt off and wind the pump with your fingure until oil stops arriving at the top of the belltank.

Rob

Ah - I didn't prime the filter. But I didn't the last time, and didn't have this problem *confused* Still worried, as I tried cranking it again this morning - and it got to a low pressure eventually, then quickly dropped when I stopped turning it over, and the light came on again ☹️ Not sure whether this normally happens to be honest though!

Dunno how it was ignited, the plugs were on the scuttle!

Chris.

Yep - just have. Far too terrified to start it when pressure is dropping as quickly as it is and warning lights are flashing at me...

I'm gonna try cranking again just on the battery - but will jack the back of the car up to try and get the oil toward the pump.

Chris.

Chris, pressure will always die the second you stop cranking. Also, you really *should* take the DS belt off and wind it round with a drill (clockwise) until there's no more oil in the sump pan. I normally get a little over 4 litres out of mine during an oil change.