Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re builds

Neil A

At what point do people get reskins etc? I have been POR15 the rear as all the powered coating has fallen off now. I have waxoiled the grot traps a while back, but now I am starting to notice bubbles coming up on and near the scuttle. Also where the side skin is rivoted to the chassis it looks none to clever either. How expensive is it to put all this right and is it worth it in the end?

Must drive more and look at it less.

Fellas, smoke me a kipper, I will be blatting for breakfast.

stop polishing, get driving.

I thought about getting mine reskinned and painted, but then I remembered that it became tatty looking in such a short space of time the first time round that it wasnt worth it for me, so I havent bothered. Its far from immaculate looking, but I cant be arsed polishing it, just prefer to track it.

If serious corrosion has set in it's best to get it fixed - a blast and re-powder is £275 from Arch (assuming bare chassis). New panels are just over £1K - I'll be finding out exactly how much in a couple of weeks.

Striping it to a bare chassis is a good days work. Putting it all back together takes a bit longer but should only be a few days.

Getting there.... *smile*

Dont forget to budget for a respray if you car is painted - £800 - £1200 seems to be the going rate depending on who does it and what sort of paint you use (ie solid or metallic etc).

I know a couple of people who've done this and it turned out more expensive than they planned, for example some of the interior panels, especially floor and footwells, needed replacing, plus there are always those 'little' things that you decide need replacing once the car is in bits.

Dont let me put you off, but do expect it to cost more than you initially think.

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

• Support Team

I have just done a complete stripdown and have almost finished the rebuild.

Assuming you strip the car yourself then to have the chassis blasted and re-powder coated, all new panels fitted and a respray then I guess you should budget about £3k. You can save some money by removing the old panels yourself and by not having the new ones powder coated but it would only save you a couple of hundred.

If the chassis is really starting to rust then I would go for it. Mine was a real mess and every time I think to myslef "Why did I do this?" I just look at the pictures I took during the dismantling process.

Yellow SL *cool* #32