Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjustable Dampers

gordon wilson

Currently running my VX engined 7 on Bilstein race dampers which are just a little firm for regular road use - converting to adjustable seems the obvious for optimum track day/road mix but which ones? Caterham 'technical dept' were unhelpfulness personified when asked the same question....anyone any experience of Penske products and who distributes them?

Whn eI spoke to Hyperion ages ago they said they'd tried Penske dampers and they were good but needed alot of work to get the valving right and were considered too expensive to b offered as an option so they ceased work on them

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

A couple of years ago I was talking to Raceline about Ohlins. The conclusion was exactly the same, they're the dogs danglies but far too expensive to bother developing the correct set-up and then offer them to Joe Public.

I've ended up with Leda's. They come with settings developed by James Whiting but have an 18 position single adjustment knob that does bump and rebound together. The adjustment seems spot on, I started full soft and it was obvious even to me that it was too soft, stiffened it up a couple of clicks at a time and it feels different each time, never been past click 12 so still some left. Adjustment is so easy too, very positive click for each setting with a big easy to use knob. Not a bit like sp*x or av*, no grovelling around with a screw driver and wondering if that was the first click or if corrosion has stopped it turning, was that a click or a bit of dirt etc etc.

I didn't get on with the Ledas. They were great on the track but no so good on the road - it's really bumpy where I live. I ended up back on Bilsteins running different springs. I ought to try the Ledas again on the new springs to be fair. The confusing thing about the Leads is that as you get past setting 7 they only ramp up the rebound. Until click 7 they increase both bump and rebound.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Yes and No.

Mines de dion so I know Leda's make them to fit this car.

There are two kinds of Bilsteins available for caterhams. The road spec which have adjustable spring platform in 1/2 inch gaps using a circlip. To these you can add proper threaded adjustable platforms as a bolt on extra kit from Caterham. The second kind are the race bilsteins which are bigger in diameter (use 2 1/4 inch ID springs rather than 1.9 inch on the road ones) and come as standard with threaded bodies to make adjustable spring seats. None of the bilsteins I have ever seen have adjustable damping.

I run Ledas, supplied by James Whiting, on the front of a 1993 de dion Vauxhall on 16" wheels (I know, I know I should change them for 13"!!). They are a huge improvement on the Bilsteins. Although I have gone harder on the springs, from standard 170 up to 300, the ride is much more absorbent on the appalling Gloucestershire roads. I have also gone to the softest Caterham rollbars front and rear.

Have retained standard Bilsteins and spring rates on the rear for the timebeing - anybody have any experience? It feels as though the spring rates may be OK, but the shocks are too soft?

Nick Speed

I converted to Ledas with 300 front 200 back, larger diameter springs as I recall. James Whiting supplied and fitted 21/2 years ago. I ran Ledas fully hard (20 clicks)at front at Spa last week and dropped back to four clicks for the road afterwards. Also easy to adjust the ride height and corner weights.

I shall send mine back to Leda for servicing this winter as I have a slight seepage from one of them after a great deal of track (curbing) use!

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . .