Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre differences

ian crocker

OK, not wanting to restart the debate in the ACB10 thread, but I do have a question related to that thread. No Limits stated that A24 ACB10s were'nearly 2 seconds a lap' faster than medium A048s. He then went on to say the choice from best to worst was:

"ACB10 - A24 compound

Yokohama 032's - Supersoft (Not available any more but some will be running them)

Yokohama 048's - Soft (due out anytime now to replace 032's above)

Avon CR500's - wet tyre option and probably better than the 48's below.

Yokohama 048's - Medium (available now but take 2 laps to get anywhere near warm and I would not advise use for sprints unless nothing else available or you simply need one tyre for many purposes- Good when warm on a track day though)"

Given that A048 medium is at the bottom of this list, any idea what the difference between A24 ACB10 and Ao32R SS is likely to be - presumably quite small?

Ian

my understanding is that Dave Jackson used 32s last year and if he tested acb 10 on saterday and no limits says there 2 sec quicker that the diffrence between 32s ss and a24 ACB10s.

I have no hard facts but would think tere is not a lot of diffrence between cr500 and 48s. With the new softer 48s they should have the edge and are cheeper.

Hope this helps

David

A33 Stronger for very hard saloon use

A31 Durable compound mostly used on saloon cars

A30 Generates higher temperature and grip than A31

A24 Used in medium single seater/soft saloon applications

A24 is the softest - If I do two runs back to back with these (double lap curborough) you can feel them starting to overheat - by the third run, they are definitely overheating.

Avons do not seem to like heat cycles. You can have plenty of tread left on them but once they've been through a few heat cycles, they do go off.

The fastest I've gone has always been on brand new A24 ACB10's but you almost need to buy a new set every year and not use them for practice either, in order to get the best out of them.

It gets quite silly so I'm going to use my 2 year old ones this year, knowing they're not nearly as good as they were when new - it is an excuse but in all honesty, new ones are better

They're also suprisingly good in damp situations, as long as there's no standing water.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 23 Mar 2005 09:35:44

I've been on a boring training course all day ........

I had my old 32R's in SS compound . We timed those then changed the front camber , and put the A24 ACB's on . These were then heat cycled . Then we timed one flying lap . It was *just* under 2 seconds quicker .

I felt the laps were fairly comparative , but I had adjusted the dampers during the course of the day , so a few more tenths may have been had on the 32R's ??. However , the rear ears were still on 1.5Deg neg camber - so these need to be changed . Plus the tracking was all to cock as it changed when I altered the camber .

In essence , i reckon the A24's to be about 1.75sec > 2 sec quicker round Llandow than my *old* 32R's . If the 32R's were also fresh I reckon they would be worth 0.3 sec .

So i conclude that a24's are worth about 1.6- 1.8 sec around Llandow vs fresh 32rs in SS.

The most telling point with the a24's was that I could apply full throttle in second gear out of the bustop without any wheelspin at all . Also I could hold 4th gear around gluepot corner and exit on full throttle without any wheelspin .

With the 32R's , I was on full oppo lock in 4th at 7000 rpm out of gluepot and in second gear only 1/2 throttle could only ever be applied .

Braking was also much better with loads of front wheel grip .

I was quite staggered at the difference and now realise exactly what time difference I have been simply throwing away for the past 3 years that I have been resolutly competing on 32R's despite what others in class 5 have run 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*.

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*