Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quaife ATB Diff fitted in error....worth changing?

dave1968

Bit of an odd one this. took my 7 to Chris at the 7 workshop to have various bits done that id saved up for (very happy with the work done by the way, Chris is a top bloke) . Id decided to go for a ZF Plate type diff and Chris arranged for it to be sent to Road and Race.

To cut a long story short Chris and I got our wires crossed and ive ended up with a Quaife ATB rather than a ZF....

Chris is happy to arrange for the mistake to be corrected if I want, but Im wondering whether to bother? (hassle factor, car off road just when spring finally arrives etc).

My car has a Minister VHPD engine with MBE ecu and (i guess?) produces about 190-200bhp. Mostly used on the road but with a few track days thrown in.

Any advice? Is the ZF so much better its worth the aggro or should i just have fun with the ATB? I often read that 'big power/torque' cars are much better suited to the ZF but what does 'big' mean?

any help / opinions appreciated

Dave

Dave, I have a Quaife ATB in my 225HP car, and it works really well for me on fast road work and trackdays.

From previous posts I recall that there is an issue regarding serious racing use where if a rear wheel lifts, say on the apex of a corner, and youve got some power on, then damage can result when it hits the track again.

Since you suggest that you will only be doing trackdays it's probably not an issue.

One more thing, the Quaife is fit and forget, plate types I beleive may need adjustment/set up now and then, mind you I'm no expert, I'm sure more knowledgeable blatchatters will be along later with more definitive info.

I have a Quaife ATB in my 1600SS. The car is used on the road and for sprints/hillclimbs and had no problems at all. As Mike says, the only problem is when you start lifting the inside wheel by bouncing over curbs on full power - not the sort of thing that you would normally do on the road (I hope). Probably a small increase in whine from the diff, but "TADTS".

All in all, very satisfied with my Quaife.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

ZFs shipment arrived in the UK last tuesday, Caterham bagged all the ones I didn't.

My diff is now having a ZF fitted at JP raceshop. I have a 200BHP K series and in all past discussions with road & race / blatchat / etc it has been concluded that the ZF is the way to go. I cant remember who had swapped from Quaife to ZF but they were very pleased with the results.

Bob

Got to say that I am really pleased with my Quaiffe ATB. It is very smooth, no sudden locking of the diff, minimal noise and great for doughnuts etc. On tracks it is very smooth in action, you power through bends with no hint of outside wheel spin at all, and the transisiton to it 'locking' is almost imperceptable.

I would stick with it.

Home of the first GULF racing Midget

I must agree with Robster, I've had a Quaife ATB fitted by Road & Race for a couple of years now, it's great on the read, very progressive and handles 200bhp no problem, the only down side I've heard of but never experienced is if you do a lot of kerb hopping on track it can put stress on your drive shaft when you land, but I doubt you'll experience this on the occasional track day. For road use I doubt you'll find better, in fact you might find a ZF a bit snatchy on the road, especially in the wet. Be warned that ANY LSD will cause the back to flick round under power when coming out of junctions in the wet, just be ready to catch it.

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

cheers for all the responses.

I also called Phil at Road and Race and have come to the conclusion its probably best to try the car for a while and make my mind up from there. I suspect ill end up keeping it as it is.

Dave