Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quickshift Gearlever

caterhamnut

I know a couple of guys who have carried out the DA mod and been very pleased with the end result. All you are seeking to do, really, is change the leverage point which is basically what the Quaiffe one does albeit more expensively

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. In the final week of gestation. SVA booked. 😬

The height spacing is quite critical, otherwise you either won't be able to get reverse, or you'll be able to get it too easily (without having to push down). Make sure you test it before putting the tunnel all back together again. Unfortunately we didn't/couldn't when we did Jason's and it needs a little bit more height, probably just another washer - too late now without major agro.

Phil Waters

Is the Dave Andrews mod doable in situ? I noticed Phil did Jasons on the bench in a vice....

Second thing, what is the actual reduction in lateral movement after this mod?

Cheers

Jim

• Support Team

Easy to get tunnel cover off - the only pain is that to get it over the handbrake lever you will probably need to slacken off the handbrake cable. Unscrew gear lever knob and remove the handbrake lever sleeve. Pull handbrake lever as near to vertical as possible. Lift tunnel cover off - it's not actually held on with anything (well mine wasn't so I presume others aren't either).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I've just re-fitted my gearlever last night. Its a 2001 car and doesn't use the rubber ball lever.

The shaft is pivoted in a steel spherical bearing which sits in a bespoke mount. The bearing is held on to the shaft by circlips and has a 7mm spacer above it. The mounting which bolts into the box has 3 circlip grooves, only two of which are used. In its "as supplied" form the bearing sits in the lower position (long shift). If you were to exchange the positions of the spherical bearing and the spacer on the shaft and then raise the circlips in the mounting to the upper two locations you would have the same effect as DVA's mod....

I was looking at the stick and thought that it wouldn't be possible to get the bearing off because of the kink in the shaft... I've just spoken to Quaife and they say that they are all assembled post bending so you can just strip and re-assemble it. Easy. (Apart from they can get a bit tight in the hole)

BC

Edited by - Bob Corb on 23 Mar 2005 12:41:37