Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CCC Bolt-on EMR kit cam

Pierre Gillet

I am fascinated by the article on page 106 of the Nov. issue of CCC, where Dave Walker achieves 160 BHP with a 1600SS fitted with his own cam profiles, his Emerald ECU, throttle bodies and 4 2 1 superlight exhaust.

He is also demonstrating that for mildy tuned engine, porting the head is not necessary if not counterproductive.

Questions: 1)Does Emerald plans to commercialize this EMR kit?

2) What is the cam profile Dave is using ( if it is not a trade secret)?

Pierre

I think the cam is the new Piper BP 285H which is the hydraulic version of the famed 740 grind. Why not give Dave & Karl a call on 020 7737 7114 and find out if they are offering a complete bolt on kit. Could be very cost effective as their M3d ECU could be supplied fully mapped.

The profile Dave is using is the 633 profile which has considerably less duration than the BP285H and less lift so that the profile can be used with the stock springs. Since that engine development, the results of using the cams has been more variable and this could well be because K heads vary quite markedly due to poor production engineering. The work has also been carried out on a 1.6K rather than a 1.8.

I've worked pretty closely with Dave over the last 2 years or so on K development and it is the *first* time I have seen a port job on a K series head not give a large increase in BHP. Note that when used with the warmer cam profiles, the porting made a big difference.

It depends on what you want to acheive, a similar specced (cam wise) 1.8K picked up 13BHP and at one point 22ft/lb from simply porting the head on standard valve sizes and with suitable mapping. That was on Dave's RR and is in direct contrast to what was acheived with Dave's kit. The kit has yet to be tested back to back on a 1.8K but I have someone lined up to do just that.

Oily

Thanks very much Oily.

"The kit has yet to be tested back to back on a 1.8K".

I was delighted that this development is done on the 1.6K as it is really my engine!

"but I have someone lined up to do just that." The result will be very interesting.

A non-directly related question: the 4 2 1 superlight exhaust seems to be a "bottle neck " that need to be choped ( we like to do that in France as you know !). However , this exhaust is not available for LHD cars. In your opinion, could a RHD exhaust be modified by a competent exhaust manufacturer here in France at a reasonable cost? In other words, is it a matter of "just" bending a little bit several of the pipes to clear the steering shaft, or would it need replacing several of the primaries?

My best regards,

Pierre

Hi Pierre.

The 285H cams ie. retaining the hyd. lifters are the cams that I have fitted to my new 1800 'K'. The idea is to gain more power/torque but still retain the ease of maintainance. I figure it's worth the trade of a few top end BHP !

Warren at Piper said that an Elise customer with DTH TB's (Jenveys ?), Luminition ECU and a non ported V V C head made 170 BHP.

Revs will need to be limited to a max of 7,600. Quite enough thankyou!!

Engine not yet running as wiring loom from 1400 SS to the 1800 version is err, well, shall we say different !!!!!!!!!!

Only fitted it a week ago.

The rumour mill says the kit is £1500, but chat Dave up to confirm that. The good thing about using the M3D is that there is something like 100 different maps for the K series available in various states of modification including a well developed one for the Emerald kit.

Oily

Just to confirm the 633 profiles are

264 degree duration, .396" lift (10mm), 106/108 lobe centres 26/58.. 60/24 lift at TDC 85thou/inlet 75thou exhaust (approx)

That is 10 degrees less than the BP285H with 20thou less lift at TDC and 10 degrees less overlap.

Oily

Chris, it will be very interesting to see which power you achieve when you get this wiring loom sorted. Good to know that you have completed your 1800 conversion. congratulations!

Robert, I think it was worth waiting for the Emerald kit.

Oily, thanks for the technical spec of the 633 profile. Retaining the springs would really allow reamining in the

"bolt-on" spirit.

Pierre

• 3 weeks later...

EMERALD is offering their kit circa 1600 £ incl. VAT, which seems to be good value. They seem to have a number of different maps. Given the fact that they do not seem to have dealers in France, and consequently that French RR operators will not be able to map the engine "live" , would it be reasonable to envisage using their maps for peacemeal upgrades. My plan would be to first buy their ECU and use their map for a 1.6K stock engine. Then buy the 4 2 1 superlight caterham exhaust and remap the engine accordingly using their corresponding map. Then buy the Piper cams , remap the engine with the specific map , and finally install the TH .

These painful upgrades would be followed by a well deserved trip to EMERALD in London for a final mapping ...and a pint of beer.

Is it a realistic plan?*

Cheers,

Pierre