Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec cooling systems - opinions

philwaters

Julians,

the diagram would be brilliant. Can I ask where you got the bits from (can raceline supply them?). I think th water flow must just be down to, as you say, path of least resistance.

I will look for the Haynes manual over the weekend - do they do just an engine one, or do i have to get one for a car with it in?

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

• 19 years later...

Holy thread resurrections.

The difference between the Raceline item and the real Ford thermostat housing is the use of a bypass thermostat, where there is a flat plate on the hot end of the thermostat, this is initially open, allowing coolant to flow into the water pump inlet side, as the engine temp increases, this plate moves to close this flow, so all coolant from the head is directed through the radiator, this is from the original engine system, to allow quicker engine warm up, less pollution etc.

Raceline system doesn't have the provision for this set up, thus the "hole" in the thermostat, to try and replicate the Ford setup. The original Ford system also prevents a big slug of cold radiator water rushing into the block as the temp reaches thermostat opening point, and causing the stat to close, causing wildly fluctuating indications on the temp indicator, which is only repeating what is happening in the engine.

This link is an in depth look at Zetec cooling system on Kitcars. http://www.toyne.org.uk/zetec.html

Probably very much after the event,but I am have an ongoing problem with a Black top Zetec and Raceline water rail, and, did I mention a broken piston ring on No. 1 cylinder

Should have stuck with the Xflow.