Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I'm off to get 4 sacks of potatoes..

Normans_Ghost

..Cause the corner weight are all to pot.

Got them perfect on Friday, went out (with wing glued back on) yesterday. Came back slowly due to lack of oil. Checked suspension fixings and found n/s/f lower wishbobe was loose. Tighten and moved wishbone 1/2" up. (It had "cockled" and appeared tight - but didn't seem right which is why I checked it)

Then, having taken my weights back to the pub (4 sacks of spuds) I got son-in-law to sit in far with 2 gallon can of petrol and 3 cans of oil. Bloody thing was all over the place. got it 2 kilos different, turned the n/s/r platform 1 turn and then it's 20 k's different.

HM's nagging because were going out, I'm rushing the job and it's getting worse.

So I'm now off the the farm to borrow 4 sacks of spuds and take my time and see if I can get it right - again.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

4 sacks of tatties, 1 gallon can of petrol and 1 half tin paint = norman (fat bastard)

Now got the fronts to within 1 kg equal. Good enough till I can get it on Trevors flat floor.

Ride height are 147 rear 137 front. Measured at chassis rail in front of rear wing and between engine mounting bolts will be about 15mm rake between axle centres (anyone disagree?)

I'm happy, smiling even.

Now shower (I stink), return tatties, lunch and over Snake & C&F to see if it goes round corners.

Will report back later.

Norman - as and when my car is working again (at this rate, some time next year) and given that it is on adjustable platforms (something recently discovered) - you don't fancy helping me with mine at some point do you? I reckon I'm only a small sack of potatoes lighter though.

your at least 1 sack lighter maybe 1.5

I'll need to get some 8x4 sheets to get the floor flat before I do it again. My floor is level but is not 100% flat (it's concrete). If your happy for a no1 quiet 100% then it's not a problem.

I only wanted to get as close as possible before getting it Trevor Greave to do it properly. Trevor's busy with the racing season now, so I'll have to wait for a quiet week.

2 broom handles and some fine string are better

...funny you should say that...

I went round to borrow the gauge - from Simon Reader who owns roughly three 7's that he and his daughter (Sarah Reader) race - we ended up setting-up a box around the car - two long ali beams at the front and rear, and some tensioned-string down the sides.

Measured the distance between the string and the rims etc. at various points and were able to show that the alignment is more-or-less OK now (I'd adjusted the toe-in on the front-left).

Only major question-mark now is whether the lower-front suspension bolt is bent. I'll get another on order and take it to Anglesey for the Blink guys to look-at/fit. Simon did suggest taking it out and checking if it was straight - but that sounds like a recipe for an undriveable car if I have trouble getting it back in on my own.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I will definitely be coming to Anglesey, but might not have a terribly good-handling car*.

*Neils-trick. Get your excuses in early *tongue* *wink*

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com