Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Reg clarification

MJS

Can I just confirm the correct procedure for registering a newly built car. I've heard that the VRO have to inspect the car (in particular the chassis plate) but you need to make an appointment for them to do this. Is this correct? If this is the case, then I'll ensure I pre-book my visit and confirm thay can inspect and register all in one sitting.

I managed to get away without taking the car to VRO (Northampton). Car was registered new, with a declaration of newness for all the stuff from Caterham. They were happy with that although my engine and wheels weren't on the invoices I gave them. The engine was bought separately, the VRO chap didn't even want to see the receipt even though I offered it to him.

On the other hand Maidstone VRO appear to want to see the car. Alan Wain had to go back a couple of days later to an appointment with the head official, they let him drive it there. Considering our cars are almost mechanically identical I can't see that there is any criteria for inspecting new cars??

BC

My experience was a joke. I dealt with Wimbledon VRO who were very inexperienced when it came 7's. I live near Dorking and was told that I could drive the car their with no trade plates etc. When I got there the engine no. did not match up with that on the certificate of newness. Called Caterham and was told that he was reading the rover number not the Caterham one. The inspector then has me under the car trying to find the right one(which I recall as being behind the oil filter). I told him that I couldn't see it because the car was too low and I was to close to a scorching exhaust. I told him to get a mirror!! He didn't find it funny and said he would let it go. I then nearly ripped the sump out on the way out of the car park. Took me a further two weeks to get a registration number. All in all it was a very unpleasnt experience. I wish you the best of luck with whoever you deal.

Charlie