Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

pectel ems?

yankeedoodoo

The Pectel system is a very sophisticated system used by some of the top WRC teams, it's probably well over the top for a road going Zetec, there are a number of other systems which are worthwhile and more appropriately priced for your requirements, MBE, MoTeC, DTA, Emerald M3D, EFI etc. I personally favoure the M3D.

Oily

Amazing, something Arnie knows nothing about!

I recommended Pectel for use on the Suzuki British Superbikes when I did some consultancy work for Suzuki in 1998. They were also used on the Nissan touring cars and many World Rally cars (as Oily rightly points out). I actually had a meeting with one of the ex-owners of Pectel yesterday. The company has been sold to Pi which is in turn owned by Ford.

Very sophisticated ECUs from around £750 to £7,500. The T6 (about £2,500) we used on the Suzukis has 2 megs of datalogging built in which can be downloaded at 1 meg per second using CAN. It can do all sorts of stuff which you will probably never need.

I was toying with the idea of using a T2 Pectel (the cheapest, as used in Formula Ford) as I have friends that work there, but will probably opt for the Weber Alpha as you get everything you need in a box at a very reasonable price. Around £1,500 for an ECU,loom, manifold, throttle bodies, trumpets, filters, regulator etc. etc. The only things you need to supply is a fuel pump and swirl pot if applicable.

If money was no object I would use Pectel, on a budget Weber Alpha or one of the ECUs mentioned by Oily. These ECUs are only as good as the people that set them up. If you have access to a good Pectel guy locally it may well be worth considering.

AMMO

Thanks for the swift responses. The pectel system seems to be much easier to procure in California, although it originates in the UK. Price may very well be an issue. Are you familiar with TWM fuel injection throttlebodies, which are also easier to find than jenvey here? Are they comparable? I'll repay the many excellent responses with liquid refreshments at a sleazy California beach bar upon demand. Followed by excellent mexican or asian food!

Yankeedoodoo.

Not familiar with TWM. Have used Jenvey taper bore throttle bodies on race bikes that have won British National championships and on a Ducati single which won the singles race at Daytona a couple of years ago.

I was speaking to Richard Jenvey last week about Zetecs and he does a a kit which comprises a manifold with four individual taper bore throttle bodies and trumpets. Cost at around £750.00 is a bit steep compared to parallel bore Weber replacement type bodies. If you went for the Jenvey / Pectel setup you would, in my opinion have the best kit money can buy.

AMMO