Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another 1900cc K...

V7 SLR

RR session booked for the 30th *thumbup*

Engine has Caterhams roller barrel TB's & R500 exhaust so it will be interesting to see / compare plots, although I'm

remapping the MBE ecu at Mech Repairs in Cheltenham so RR figures will be slightly different (maybe) !

Also have a steel crank ect so what the hell lets take it to 9,000 rpm 😬 & see what happens......... BANG (i hope not) 😬

for longer life i plan on useing no more than 8,600 rpm...

fingers crossed

Alex

Dave (Oily), at the time my head was originally done, I think it was the only one with the larger exhaust valves. I know that Mick Smith now has the 28.3mm valves too. I was wondering if that's now the standard and who else has these?

I am *slightly* regretting not taking you up on the 33.5mm inlets now, although as I said previously, I'm hardly upset with the result. 😬

Last year, Mech Repairs showed 206 or 208bhp on a local chap's totally standard (but properly mapped) R400 so I doubt they were underreading then. It's unlikely that a standard R400 will achieve more than that but not impossible. Anyway his car is simply fantastic now. A great advert for anyone not sure whether to have their R400 remapped or not.

Freestyle inboard, as soon as I've eBayed some more crap out of the loft. *cool*

And a CF scuttle, hopefully a CF bonnet and now that the engine is the loudest I've encountered, possibly an airbox (in Cf natch). 😬

Mebee a paint job one day for the remaining ali panels.

On a K Dave? I admit that I'm seriously interested in this.

I'm still considering the VAG turbo unit. One day I'd like to see if it would be possible to build one of those with the alloy block. 300bhp seems emminently possible with a ton of torque, however if you reckon more is possible from a K, then it makes sense to leave the K-shaped hole in our engine bay filled with a K-shape.

v7slr - "I'm totally happy with the results for now and am going to enjoy baiting the up and coming Duratecs"

Pretty awesome for a 1900! *thumbup* Since you mention it, here is a plot from my "up and come" Duratec, built by Mick Attree - Dyno chart. 180lbft from 4500, and 150 over 3000.

To make a fair comparison though, I've got no idea how much yours cost, and how long either will last. *smile*

Mine cost a rediculous amount of money really. I've never tried to hide it. Even if I took into account the fact that I started with a K and therefore to move to a Duratec with dry sump etc etc plus the cost of the conversion from K to Dura, it would *still* probably not cost much more, if *any* more, than the upgrades I've put into my K.

But that was never the point. I've never "done" Se7ening according to a budget. I am only interested in my own agenda, which gets written as and when I see fit. I buy what I want when I can afford it and wait until I can afford it if what I want is more than I currently have to spend.

I'm sincerely looking forward to watching the growth of the Duratecs. If I ever sold V7 and bought a new Caterham, it would be a Duratec powered one (unless I could afford an RST-V8) but that's unlikely to happen so for the meantime I'm going to do my best to accelerate so hard that I affect the world's spin. 😬

this post is meant in jest*

but having a 500bhp/tonne or thereabouts 7 myself - in the form of an S2000 engine, thought I'd let you know that I just got myself a spare engine - delivered to my door for £750 - thats 240bhp in standard form

* only because I've thrown huge amounts of money at engines in the past too

[accepting the jest in good humour] How much would it cost to stick it into a Se7en though? I'm talking about shallow sump pan, dry sump system, bellhousing etc... and is it on a plenum still because they're horrible and give a very damped response.

I suspect it could be cheaper than my engine, but then mine has actually cost nothing this year "technically" as I've funded it all through the sale of stuff in the loft on eBay. *wink*

£1000 for complete dry sump system

+emerald ECU

standard plenum, the damped response is an internet rumour pervaded by the throttle body manufacturers - it is actually very sharp in all seriousness, and if Peter C pipes up with his experiences on his old ITR - they've progressed a lot since then - also means that its very very quiet - Goodwood/Combe no problem

anyway - they do Jenvies for the S2000 if you really want it

using the S2000 gearbox which happened to come free with the engine

all a new build so no conversion type costs, very tricky to get into a cat chassis though

Edited by - DonkeyDave on 21 Mar 2005 20:13:07

Ah yes. I'd heard it's quite tall. Not sure why it hasn't been a hit with the Westy lads though. They seem more open minded about different engines. It ought to do well.

I'm happy with the K at the mo. It's still the lightest engine around and I have a feeling there's more to come from it yet. I don't have a fears about reliability but to be honest I mainly use mine on the road so that 244bhp will only be explored once in a while.

I think supercharging might be the next project... one day. I've a 12 week old baby to lavish my attentions and money on for the foreseeable future. *smile*

Errrm. Nige. My mower has a lighter engine, as does a moped, as does any of the bike engined cars. I think you are missing some qualifiers in that statement.

I agree with Dave that Peter C is confusing ECU mapping with inherent throttle response. I am convinced that the 'improvement' in throttle response most people claim from going IRTB is in fact because, at low RPM you go from nothing to full throttle in about 10% of pedal travel .