Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another 1900cc K...

V7 SLR

244bhp and 178ftlb. Power peaked higher a couple of times but that was inconsistencies with the RR. We managed a repeatable 244bhp (repeated it several times) and repeatable 178ftlb.

DW thought my torque figure was close to the theoretical max per litre and beat a recent;y mapped 2 litre Vx (for max torque).

Both Mylo and I had a very very successful day. 😬 😬 😬

Nig

" and beat a recent;y mapped 2 litre Vx (for max torque)."

I take that as a challenge and will be ensuring Steve Greenald regains the VX crown on Tuesday with my car 😬

Seriously nice numbers mate, be interesting to see how reliable it is, I might be tempted back to the K *smile*

Mark

Acceptance speech:

I have a lot of people to thank for this not least Oily for the original head port, tons of advice about both the spec and components to use, and subsequent rebuild of the head. I have heard from other companies offering head work but I wouldn't go anywhere else. V7 wears its DVA stickers with pride. Maybe the stickers ought to be bigger? 😬

Pete, my friend who assembled the engine, has a level of care and attention to detail I couldn't match. I might have been able to build the engine myself, but watching Pete it is obvious that he puts a lot of thought and experience into the way he works, and I felt safe knowing that it couldn't have been assembled any better anywhere else. Pete's a great source of engineering knowledge and best practice, has an understanding of tools of the like rarely encountered... and a is great friend.

Simon, without giving too much away (and knows to whom I am referring), helped me out with "insider" knowledge and advice which I find more reassuring than some of the speculative "advice" I have read.

I know we go to Emerald for a chargeable service, but at the prices DW charges he can't be covering much more than his costs, and yet spending a day with him and benefitting from the advice and general conversation is worth many times what you pay there. It's almost worth uprooting and moving closer (boy, it's a long run).

There are others whose kindness and generosity makes the ownership of such a car a pleasure. The community of Se7eners brought together by BlatChat, the Boardroom and the Se7ens list is unequalled.

Right, speech over. I'm going for a blat. A fast one. 😬 😬

Plot here

Ignore the headline figure printed at the top. That was a glitch we kept seeing when we revved it past 8000. Although I will normally set my cut-out at 8000rpm, we were trying to see if there was any improvement above there. There wasn’t and we kept seeing that glitch.

The repeatable figure was 244bhp @ ~7900rpm and 178lbft @ ~5686rpm.

Edited by - V7 SLR on 19 Mar 2005 11:16:07

Thanks. I'm now very excited to see what results the other 1900's get. I think we have the following people to go:

Alex Minchin

Johnty

Rik Roberts (Racingshoe)

Dave McCulloch

Mick Smith

Andrew Dent (already partially mapped at 238bhp)

Of these, I'm interested in the following:

1. To see what the VVC heads do compared to yours and my VHPD heads

2. Are any differences because of the different TB's Johnty has (which are on a manifold making their total length very impressive - they just fit under the bonnet)

3. Generally what inlets people have. Length, trumpet diameter, inside the bonnet etc.

4. Different inlet valve sizes one person has

5. If there's a trend between the torque curves of people with airboxes and those without.

I think everyone will have a 4-2-1 collector too, but I'm not 100% sure about Johnty again, given that he has upgraded from a good 1600 over the past couple of years

I'm not sure I agree that it will be a restriction JJ, more that you may find a bit of a hole around 4500rpm but may also find a tad more bhp at the top end. I'm very interested to see what you'll get when you eventually get it on the rollers.

There's a lot I don't understand about power tuning, WRT pulse tuning inlets and exhausts, but it's a fun excercise. I played with my airbox on the previous incarnaion of V7's engine and found it was seriously hampering power near to the top, but I had completely different length inlets to you Dave and a completely different engine spec to that which we both now have.

The only thing I'd like to experiement with now is lengthening the inlets but that'll have to wait until next year I think. I'm totally happy with the results for now and am going to enjoy baiting the up and coming Duratecs (although I'm looking forward to seeing them). 😬

DW reckoned the cams would start to make more power if I had revved past the peak I achieved at 7900. It would probably lead to an upturn in the power curve at 8300 or 8400 which was just too far for me. I didn't see much point in proving that given that I'm limited to 8000 on the road anyway. I don't mine stretching it to 8200 for the rolling road but no more. With Alex M's and your engine Dave, you have steel bottom ends so it would be an interestng experiment to see if the power curve tilts back upwards again.

You're going to be hard to beat in this year's championship Dave. My money's on you, but no-one will take the bet. *thumbup*

I wouldnt bet on me for the championship - this year there is soem very intersesting machinery in all classes . Its realy wide open .

I'm tempted to try a wilder inlet cam and a larger bore exhaust . But I realy dont think its practical to have more than the 245 we currently have - traction is a serious problem at the moment . I wouldnt fancy our cars on the public road in the wet on one of your Highland tours !!

C7 TOP *tongue*