Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wish me luck

neil.cavanagh

oil drained.

appollo tank drained

sump off.

foamy thingy is fine so I'm not touching that...

sump cleaned in kitchen sink..

about to put it back together.

I've learnt one thing though... dont' change the water temp sender when the engine is warm. You'll get a face full of presurised coolant!!

Now, where can I get, and what type of coolant should I top up with? its blue.... *confused* *confused*

off to put it back together now.... 😬

Holy carp! *eek*

You're putting a sump-foam back in (a used one at that) after what it did to me *confused*

It cost me £185 in engine-rebuilding and about the same again to get a Hellier baffle instead.

Just say no*.... *mad*

*having said that, I've had no problems with the stuff over the previous 18k-miles running on synthetic-oil - I suspect my problems were caused by getting coolant into the mineral-oil I used for running-in.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles,

i'd love a Hellier baffle, but I can't afford one right now (buying a house..) an I think there is a bit of a waiting list anyway.

The current bit of foam has been in the car for about 6K miles and about 8 months. When I pulled the sump off the sump its self was very clean, and the foam was still very yellow and in good shape. There was no evidence at all of it breaking up.. in fact it looked virtually brand new. I figured there was more chance of me messing something up by taking off the windage plate and oil pick up than just leaving it in 'as-is'. I'm a great believer in the RAF motto of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'!!

Now, I'm still interested in your 'spare' oil-oil gauge and senders as my oil pressure sender reads way low, and bounces around like a bouncey boonie and is generally totally useless for telling you whats going on in the engine bay...

Are you suffering from sun stroke or something? *tongue*

What on earth are you doing touching your car Mr C?

I thought you liked to pay Caterham for that priveledge? Or is that just an excuse to borrow their demonstrator?

ahh.. so ChrisB survived a week on the slopes!!!

Yep, got your text as you were leaving France and we were arriving. Tried to reply, but gave up. That silly joystick thing in the phone is well and truely knackered, which means that I can't text (no great loss) but also limits me to my 9 speedial locations, and numbers I know *mad* But at least a replacement will be here tomorrow.

I quite enjoy working on the car.. but I know my limits!

Just made me think of that Harry Enfield sketch - "Women - Know your limits"