Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blackbird conversion available

Dave S

We currently restoring an important Caterham to it's original 1700 X flow 5 speed spec. It is currently fitted with the Honda Blackbird. We are looking for someone with a 5 speed type 9, 1700 X flow, de dion car who wishes to convert to Blackbird spec.

Please contact Dave Snowdon on 01273 452800 for further details.

Hi Dave,

I spoke to James on Friday regarding this. I have a freshly rebuilt 1700 xflow (just run in), brand new alloy triple pass radiator and 5 speed type 9 gearbox but it's in my LA car.

I've been thinking of a bike engine conversion for some time so would be very interested. However, there are obvious LA / Dedion differences which complicate stuff e.g. the diff. If your engine package is in good nick (which I'm sure it is) I'd be happy to go halves with any new bits you might need to make the conversion work as this would still undoubtedly be cheaper than sourcing a fully conversion kit myself.

As it's the same engine and gearbox there must be a way of making it fit into a dedion chassis and as I said I'd be happy to contribute to any of the extra bits you might need to make it work.

send me an e-mail if you're interested or would like to check out my car for yourself - the engine really is in top condition.

cheers

Kristian