Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How to tell a hi vis hood from an old one ?

greg

Hi all

I want to get hi vis doors, and will hence need a new hood to fit them (my car has the 1990 non-high vis doors/hood).

A hood has come up for sale locally, hence how do I tell a high vis hood ? (assuming my non-hi-vis are unavaliable).

Thanks.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

Thanks Casbar,

As a summary:

New(relative) hi vis hoods have rear quarter windows (well plastic covered holes :-) - old non hogh vis do not.

New hoods have a zip out rear - old ones do not.

Both may however fit over an FIA bar (my old, non high vis does)

Thanks

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

Greg, in Tony Weales book on page 86 there is a picture of the earlier and later types of side screen, if you haven't got the book the main difference is the moulded lower part of the panel to accomodate the elbow, and apparently these side screens can be folded over for easier carrying when strapped to the, where ever it is that you strap things to, from the photo it appears that the height from where the turn button is to the top of panel on the hi vis screens would be some 2 inches greater than the standard old fashioned one, like mine of 1982 vintage no zip out rear window but it does have very scuffed original style clear panels between the door (ha) aperture and the rear window, but in 1982 hi vis was unheard of, if you want to see more remove things, side screens for instance, I'll see if I can copy and scan the pictures to you, Regards Nigel.

P.S. I thought the high visability set up included a different shape windscreen, wider at the top, so the curvature of the side screens may be different.