Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Has your K series been over heating???

Red SLR

Well mine has, incase you have not noticed wink.gif

Well today I let a mechanic have a look at it... thats a miricle!

It seems my problem is 2 fold. 1, air locks... a milk bottle with a long bit of hose on apparently gets rid of these. question.gif

(connected to the header tank and held about 4 feet above the engine, you can see all the air bubles coming out.)

2, Caterham were sending me an 88c stat. I am not sure if this is the OE item but this was replaced with an 82c stat. The result is the car now runs spot on 80c, even in traffic.

I am still getting a pressure test done tomorrow to check the head gasket is ok.

Any way if you have been having this problem it might be worth asking Caterham to send you the 82c stat.

Simon.

X777CAT

Glad to see that you've got the problem sorted. I'm going to take a look at mine as it constantly runs at around 90-100degc whether in traffic or not. I've tried bleading the system but didn't use the technique you mentioned. Could you give me some more details on what the mechanic did with the milk bottle etc. Also does the stat have the temperature stamped on it or do I have to guess.

Hope that the pressure test turns out OK

Cheers

Gareth

I think you should find 82c or 88c on it. The 88c one was stamped on one end in big numbers. My new 82c one is stamped near the rubber seal and is smaller.

The milk bottle was filled half with water. Then a 2m length of hose was ran from the header tank return pipe (on the top of the header tank, it is about 6mm I think) Then the pipe is held in the milk bottle and held up.

The header tank is full to the brim by the way. Then start the car up and watch the air bubbles rise through the water. This went on for a couple of minites then the water started to rise. Hose was then pulled off and origional one returned. (although mine is just blanked off as I have TB's)

The car was then checked for air pockets in the normal way. None seemed to show up.

I would try getting the 82c stat in there. Drop me an e-mail if you do as I have part numbers and fitting instructions.

There is not much point in getting all the air out if you are going to drain the system off to put in a new stat! Have you tried running without a stat?

Ta

Simon.

X777CAT