Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Do Fireblade engined cars need a cat??

Bob Corb

A colleague of mine is building a Fireblade engined car as we speak (Westwotsit). We cant be sure exactly what emmision regs it will need to pass at SVA time. The car is all new with the exeption of the engine which is a 98 spec 'Blade motor on carbs. Will he need to fit a cat to get through SVA? As far as I can see any car built after 94 (or 97 if amateur built) will need a cat and run lambda 1 +/- 3%, 0.5/0.3% CO and all the rest. It wont be easy to get through on carbs (more chance of winning the national lottery).

The fact that the donor vehicle didn't need a cat may stand for something??

Do Caterham (James W) use the Fireblade engine with injection?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Give James Whiting a call, he will probably know.

I don't think you will - I seem to remember that the car is required to meet the emmissions requirements of the donor vehicle, but that is for MoT's, and the SVA is different...

Dave H

By "donor vehicle" I assume you mean the bike, not that the car is being built with bits from a donor vehicle. The boys on the bike-engined-cars mailing list at yahoo (www.yahoogroups.com) will know the answer to this one, they go around searching for bike engines which are early enough not to require a cat to be fitted.

Mike

As a caterham owner and fully paid up member of L7 club I don't see why this is the wrong site to be posting to. Steve is also a member of the club and knows more about sevens than almost anyone else I know. He just isn't fortunate enough to be able to afford one yet although in time he will get one.

Thanks for the replies. I was refering to the bike as the donor.

Cheers

BC

To get back to the question for a moment, it will partly depend if the car is going to be newly registered or not. If the car is being converted then the emmission requirements will be those of when it was first registered. If, however, it is a new car and this will be the first time it is registered then it will need to comply with the necessary. (i.e. you can drop a brand new engine into a 10yr old car and not need a Cat fitted)

This is where it gets tricky as it is not a bike anymore so does it get classed as a car and therefore need to pass car tests? I would assume that James (W) has not developed a cat for the car and that it therefore doesn't need one - BUT I WOULD CHECK WITH HIM and also talk to the SVA people - yo don't want to turn up and get caught out at the last hurdle!

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?" wink.gif

A fireblade engine pre 95 if left as it is with air box on will pass SVA. post 95 needs a cat or seriously detuning to get past emmissions (neigh on impossible)

Whiting advises carb engines as easier to get but more importantly are more tunable.

His cars have a cat for SVA.

The fact that it is a bike engine in a car makes no difference, pre 95 is what most start with then change it later for a newer engine....just one catch around 97 they changed the direction of the gear change ie one up 5 down to one down 5 up!!

So can have a 10 year old engine in a current plate car if it is the only donor part, Whiting's cars have a mod donor rear axle as well and therfore will be a Q plate. Only way round this is to take your old ford of vaux powered car and have the chassis regigged by arch and build up from there an original plated bike engined Caterham.

For advice on that see Blackbirdmans car which is about on a par or just less than an R500 on the dry track with slicks!!

Edited by - dogvet on 9 Oct 2001 14:13:29

Sorry Blatman, I was wondering whether it was wise to ask the question on this site and was half expecting a few words to be said. I just assumed .... [pause to put foot back in mouth].

Anyway, the car (being an IRS Westthingy) is built with a new rear diff and is to go for SVA in the spring.

Steve's going for the 1 refurbed part option.

We will have to have a serious look at the options:-

1. Get a pre 95 engine (not so good condition i.e. cheapo) and use it for the SVA.

2. Fit the cat and hope (95 -97 ish Rover Metro 1.1 8 valve cars have cats and carbs!!)

3. Go straight for the Hayabusa motor!!!

Thanks again

Bob

Given that many of the people with bike engined cars will remove the cat straight after SVA/MOT, it would probably be possible to borrow or timeshare a CAT exhaust can. It may be worth asking the BEC Listers on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bike-engined-cars. Fisher sports cars sell a Cat can for seven type cars.

I'm cheating by fitting a bike engine to a pre-registered Caterham to avoid SVA and Q plate.

Mark