Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting crutch straps

Pierre Gillet

I am thinking about fitting "Mustache" crutch straps. Question: should I buy them from Caterham or from Luke ( it seems that Demon Tweeks is selling Lukes about 4 £ less than caterham, and I was said that Caterhams are made by Luke?

Also, must I use the 2 bolts of the belt to fit the crutch strap?

thanks very much as always for your help,

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre,

How old is your chassis. Mine has two fixings on the rear bulkhead for a crutch strap. If yours hasn't got them then I think there was a feature in LF many months back regarding fitting the strap through the floor using additional floor rails as used to fit the seats. Failing that you'll have to use the two seatbelt points.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gareth

Messieurs, merci beaucoup !

Gareth, my chassis is a 1997 De Dion.

I shall check tomorrow the bulhead as you advised. I figure that there must be two threaded holes close to the floor.Otherwise, I shall use Caterham's method used for Ian and Bafty's sevens, since I doubt that the aluminium floor, even with reinforcement rails, would be strong enough. To me this way of fitting is OK for the seats as they would really be kept in place by the harness in case of crash!

Best regards,

Pierre

Pierre,

My wife gave me a crutch strap as a Xmas present two years ago - maybe she's trying to tell me something. I've a'96 chassis and I never did find any locating holes in the chassis rails, so I tried using the existing belt mounting points and that was a mess as the strap just didn't seem to be long enough, then I saw the idea of adding another seat mounting strengthener under the floor, but didn't really like the idea - so did nothing - anybody want to buy an unused Caterham green crutch strap??

Paul

Paul, well I am not so sure now because the Caterham price in the CD ROM includes VAT, while the DT does not, so there is a need for more checking.

Gareth, I checked the bulkhead and did not find any fixing. Anyway it is "only" an ali panel. I think I will go for the caterham solution.

Pierre

I fitted mine (93 chassis) by drilling holes in the floor at the rear of the cockpit (probably around the smae place as the later chassis) and using stainless strengthening brackets supplied by James Whiting.

Andrew

The crotch straps are relatively lightly loaded in a crash .Thier main job is to hold the buckle down on the pelvis so that your soft liver and spleen are not pulped by the "lap" belt.In addition they will stop you submarining under the lap belt.

The L/F solution of an ally section strengthener is ok. Personally I find the lap location points ideal and use them . Fitting requires a little bit of 3D visualisation ,to stop the strap kinking and thus becoming even more uncomfortable in use.

Caterham don't sell the Moustache-type. I bought mine from Rally Design who had Luke make them up specially for me. Normally they come with the clip-type fasteners. once I told them it was for a Caterham they understood I wanted bolt holes, and hey-presto they're fine and dandy. Quite expensive though at 25 quid, but what the Hell, I'd rather pay than get squished.

Stupid question chaps, but what are moustache type?

I bought my crutch straps from caterham and utilised the lap mounting bolts, but it does mean that the bolt heads foul the adjustable seats a bit for long legged people like me. Mine's a '96 dedion, does that mean it's likely to have fixings hidden somewhere on the rear bulkhead?

Thanks Paul. No I did not check with Caterham. I shall do it since I have several other spares to order.

Mike, I did not see any fixings on the rear bulkhead of my 1997 De Dion.

Moustache - type really means that there are two different straps fixed on the plug-in thingy, instead of one strap going from the floor to the plug-in thingy and then back to the floor... sorry it is a little bit hard to explain . I have reached the limits of my ability in English!

Pierre

Pierre, je pense que vous avez explique "le boucle thingy" avec le grand soin pour tout le monde conserver la modestie wink.gif

Pardonnez-moi. J'ai oublie ma grimace bleue blush.gif

FH teeth.gif

Edited by - fullharness on 12 Oct 2001 20:22:31

Mike, good to know that Caterham sell the Moustache-type. I shall place my order to them unless they are way dearer than DT and RD. I need the adjustable seat commodity, so I may have to use the LF way.

fullharness: pas étonnant que vous vous manifestiez sur ce sujet avec un nom pareil! Oui, je préfère votre grimace bleue...

Pierre

Bon soir Pierre smile.gif

J'ai considere il etait essentiel pour moi repondre - mais, quel horreur, mon nom de plume est en fait incomplet sad.gif j'ai seulement quatre sanglent and je n'ai pas une moustache blush.gif

FH teeth.gif