Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adhesive tape for mounting c/f dashboard

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I have been told about an adhesive tape that could be used to mount a carbon dash. This tape is like Sikaflex but does not go off and therefore not only provides a good joint but can also be easily removed. Sounds a bit like this product from 3M but can anyone point me in the right direction.

The person that told me about it got it from Oxted Trimming but bizarrely they "aren't doing sales at the moment" and refused to tell me the name of the product. *thumbdown*

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Replacing my current c/f dash which was badly rivetted on by a previous owner. I want to bond the new dash on but non-permanently. The stuff that Oxted use sounds perfect and I even found a post in the Archives referring to them supplying it. If I could just find the name of it then I should be able to find a supplier. Oxted were far from helpful.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

there are a variety of tapes available from Alfas Industries

here

I seem to recall that the SGT or flat bonding tape gives an irrreverable bond

The adhesion is so high that when used in widows it passes secure by design

And no I do not work for them (any longer)

The Liver is an evil organ and deserves to be punished *eek*

• Support Team

Delbert - they look a bit too permanent to me.

I contacted Caterham and Simon Lambert knew what I was talking about but Caterham don't use it and he didn't know where it came from.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Mark - sounds like a good idea. Norman Verona did that too and it was my original plan. When I was told about this tape I thought it sounded good - just wasn't expecting it to be difficult to source. I think I'll go the velcro route then.

Cheers.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

3M do a new self adhesive velcro type tape. No hooks and loops this time, both sides consist of tiny mushroom shaped teeth that interlock with each other. this gives the tape a more positive lock. The adhesive backings strong too!