Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec Cam Belt Tension & Guide Pulleys

pete tudor

Have recently fitted Kent cams to my 1800 Zetec and re-tensioned the timing belt to a tension as similar to as I found it. i.e. It was/is just possible to turn the belt, at midpoint of the longest run, 90 Degrees with firm finger pressure.

This tension seems pretty tight and I am also worried that I am hearing occasional 'squeaking' noises from the guide pulley bearings.

I believe the Ford approach is to fit a tensioning spring, but most people seem to just re-tension without using one.

I have also been told by my local garage that some Zetecs suffer from guide pulley bearing problems.

Can anyone advise, or have experiences?

When I fitted cams + a new timing belt to my 2 litre Zetec recently I followed the instructions in the Haynes Manual (simply rebuild engine and drive away) and fitted the tensioner spring that came with the new Ford belt. I did this with the engine on a stand (must be difficult with the engine in the car) and changed the water pump at the same time but I noted that there appeared to be some "roughness" when rotating one of the guide pulleys. I changed it whilst the opportunity was there, cost about £14 if I remember. I have yet to start the engine so I have no idea how it will sound, I did not compare the tension before and after unfortunately.